White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell
03-23-2017, (Subject: White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell ) 
RE: White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell
(03-22-2017 )jasonlepak Wrote:  This morning I put the actuators back together and started it up...
The doser injector isn't leaking coolant or fuel as far as I can see.

I ran the engine for about five minutes and then took a video which I'll post below.
With the exhaust disconnected at the turbo it definitely doesn't sound all that great.

I pulled the dipstick and opened the oil fill cap and there's plenty of blowby coming out which you can see in the video.

It does quiet down quite a bit after it warms up, but that's just normal with all diesel engines.

Friday I'll my Inline adaptor and I should be set up on Insite... Filling out the from now and sending it back to the sales rep.

Here's the video I took this morning... Keep in mind that the engine was only running for about five minutes when I started this video and it was about 30 degrees outside at the time.

https://youtu.be/LqbuFwKDwqU

I see this..
./uploads/201703/post_2_1490273855_9a4f6a1791a8645f1cfd8bdab52d331e.jpg

======

And this ...

./uploads/201703/post_2_1490274083_64f6f0f016826cb4ec69e8b87842c7a8.jpg

* Delte-P looks like it has never been replaced. They read wrong after about 250k miles and cause EGR valve to dump in too much EGBR gas, lowering fuel mileage, etc...

===

Blow-by looks a bit on the plus side but not real bad for a million miles from what you are showing. Only a blow-by test and a nanometer on a dyno would confirm an excess with the engine that old.

* All your metering and fueling actuators are still original. Its time to start replacing them. Start with the 2 Metering actuators. Then the 2 timing actuators later on as you get money to do them.

* when was the last time you serviced the power steering unit and replaced the filter in the bottom of the resivior? - Just some reminder there.

* crank shaft damper looks like it has a million miles on it. It should have been replaced long long ago!

* its definitely showing signs that the head is worn out and bearings for the injector cam down into the copper badly with those oil leaks on the drivers side. Eventually it will spin one of them and destroy the cam if it does not have that problem already.

and this...
./uploads/201703/post_2_1490275042_e232ee24c8546f08adb8b882ce69c50b.jpg

* You have signs of worn-out valves that are leaking oil. Also you have a manifold leak here too.

and this...
./uploads/201703/post_2_1490275406_b2567709239d2d0d9c7d4fcb202b369d.jpg

* A: -= You have some kind of leak in the boot to the CAC off the turbo. It is also leaking oil out of the face of the turbo. Make sure it is not excessive.

* B: -= This elbow looks like it is made of hard plastic. It is supposed to be rubber. There was a recall on the hard plastic elbows due to cracking and causing engine damage. Just letting you know.

===

Other things I noticed...

* The engine is definitely not firing well on one of its cylinders. You need to find out which one.

* You need to go through it and perform a thorough EGR tune-up AND REPLACE THAT DOSER INJECTOR if it is more than 250k miles old. The internals get weak and it does not work very well. Also, how old is the DOC and DPF? The DOC rarely lasts more than about 600k miles before the chemicals are washed out and the whole system struggles after that. Also, with all the oil leaks from the worn out valves, the system is going to have trouble any ways. That head is definitely worn out.

* You need to take a good look at the regen history in the ECM. Anything above about 3.0 regularly and the system is in bad shape. If it gets bad enough, it can cause injector failures and even engine failures like cracked pistons and/or a craked head. - Exhaust restrictions are nothing to play with or take for granted in a diesel.

* Also, looking at the blow-by it looks like it comes mostly from one cylinder. Likely it is a broken oil ring due to all the years of soot packing by the EGR system.

What does the overhead cams look like? - What is the movement between the engine brake rockers on each of the cylinders between the top of the stem to the detent positions? This will tell you how far up in the head the exhaust valves have worn. - Here is some reference... http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...66#pid9466

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell - Rawze - 03-23-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.