White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell
03-27-2017, (Subject: White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell ) 
RE: White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell
So I finished my front suspension today, which by the way feels great after replacing kingpins and all spring bushings and front shocks.

After I cleaned up my huge mess, I hooked up my laptop since I finally got setup on Insite today as well.

The first thing I did was I went into the ECM Diagnostic Tests section... And didn't see a damn thing that pertains to Aftertreatment.

./uploads/201703/post_2578_1490666726_c87358b7d786f68af999472aabe74bb5.jpg

So then I checked everything else out that might give me some info...
Nothing shows any information regarding the aftertreatment besides what's showing in the data logger.

./uploads/201703/post_2578_1490667134_aefca2cf234ffab1a66db19d00c1b092.jpg

./uploads/201703/post_2578_1490667150_525e6e8ed3708eb981c11291db4ebb00.jpg

./uploads/201703/post_2578_1490667162_22138be0a69c2f968e36a385c6e38f41.jpg

So I'm guessing that someone obviously flashed the ECM with a file that doesn't include most of the aftertreatment parameters but left everything attached such as the EGR valve (which also isn't opening or closing while I took it for a test drive doing about 65mph at a steady cruise) and the DPF can.

I looked inside the exhaust pipe today when I was re-sealing the band clamp that was leaking and all I saw was a metal screen... So tomorrow I'll pull the DPF can off and see what that looks like.

I also did a Cylinder Cut Out test and ran one cylinder at a time and every cylinder ran fine. They all sounded the same, idled the same and the engine never felt like it was going to die or anything else like that.

Also... I rev'ed my engine a few times to get the smoke that I've been getting... It's actually a little grey looking and it doesn't smell like unburnt fuel. It just smells like regular exhaust.

Tomorrow I'll do a pressure test on the cooling system and like I said, I'll pull the DPF can off and take a look at what they did with it.

It's totally awesome that the douche bag I bought the truck from never told me that it was all jacked up with the aftertreatment system or that someone deleted it.... He's lucky he lives about four hours away from me.......

Also, not sure if it matters or anything... In Rawze's post above he has a picture of my turbo piping... The turbo is newer and it's not this one that's leaking... The oil stains on the pipe are from the previous turbo. I pull the new one apart and checked for any leaks..

However, my boost gauge does show that when I'm accelerating hard I do get up to 40psi...
When I use my engine brake going down either long hills or mountains it climbs up to 30psi and then settles around 25psi.

For the most part though, other than the smoke it doesn't run any differently than it did a month ago.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell - jasonlepak - 03-27-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.