older truck vs newer truck
03-28-2017, (Subject: older truck vs newer truck ) 
older truck vs newer truck
Hi folks, New to the world o Rawze.
Thank for accepting me into your world.
My name is Jay and I'm wanting to be OO.
My question is with all the problems motors are having, Would be better to get a older truck with a few miles (800 to a mil) pre emission and spending to rebuild it.
I'm thinking Pete 379 cat c15 pre emission twin tubro. A well maintained truck.
I hope I'm being clear enough.
Want to hear all comments good or bad.
Thanks
replyreply
RE: older truck vs newer truck
Forgive me if I'm wrong here but I thought the pre emissions CAT was a 6nz single turbo. That being said I think I'd go with a cummins. They have better tune ability IMO. plus it seems there has been a lack of quality parts from CAT since they left the on highway market. But some people just have CAT in their blood. I used to be one but this cummins has made a believer out of me now that it's been properly repaired.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JEastonjr
Look at the top of the page here, where the HOME button is... See the button that says, "Rawze's Book"? Click on that and read it, good information, especially on that first truck purchase. Much more to this racket than just tooling down the road, this is a business, a highly regulated business with very few bright spots over the horizon.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JEastonjr
I don't know much about the cat twin turbo. I have driven mostly cummins N14. The cost of a inframe vs the cost of chasing problems could be a wash. I've watched a lot of Rawze's videos and there is a lot of problems in a short amount of miles on these newer motors.
replyreply
Thanks for the heads up Waterloo. Some good reading there. This isn't my first rodeo.
I'm not planning on lease purchase. A lot of the writing from Rawes is the way I run a truck for a company. I like the part on book keeping.
replyreply
[quote='JEastonjr' pid='13929' dateline='1490746931']
I don't know much about the cat twin turbo. I have driven mostly cummins N14. The cost of a inframe vs the cost of chasing problems could be a wash. I've watched a lot of Rawze's videos and there is a lot of problems in a short amount of miles on these newer motors.
[/q
If you have strong opinion why to ask someone?
replyreply
Cats are real expensive.... real expensive. If your going to get a cat, find one that had a platinum kit and has warranty. I'd find one with 3:36 gears on low rubber. A cat running low rpm can be great on fuel just make sure to drop a half gear when hitting a hill. Low torque low rpm is fine, high torque low rpm bad..... even for the kitty.

If you want a pete with a cat then that's what you'll buy. If I were buying my first truck, I'd get a prostar/cascadia/386 with a cm871 in it. You can get those trucks cheap AF and this forum has opened a world of understanding and help. Go over to TTR and ask a question and you'll get 5 smart ass answers and one half truth but here, you'll get 5 guys who went through the exact same thing, 5 guys who know these engines better then the engineers who designed them and you'll probably run into 1 near you willing to help.

I've got the turned up cat in a pete and yes I feel really cool driving it and no, n one can take it away from me but my prostar which cost alot less makes me more money and has had way way less problems.

I was about to go out and buy a brand new truck but instead, because of the wealth of knowledge and confidence rawze and this forum has given me... I'm going to buy 2 or 3 used prostar or cascadia with 871s and it'll still be cheaper.

Needless to say, I owe rawze a little more than a case of Pilsner and a Roughriders jersey.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Hammerhead , Waterloo , DLC , Doublecoin
I know some of this sounds delirious but it's very true. I think with the wealth of information on here your absolutely nuts too buy anything other then Cummins. They are by no means perfect but there are a lot of honest guys on here working on perfection. The information is FREE, the software is FREE (allegedly) and with patience and some reading you will be leaps and bounds over most guys on the road. These engines in a Pete smoke the old engines in fuel mileage so if that's what you really want your chances of success are much greater with a tuned Cummins. The horror stories you hear are rarely the full story a lot of issues are a causation of neglect and ignorance.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , snailexpress , Waterloo , Doublecoin
(03-28-2017 )JEastonjr Wrote:  Hi folks, New to the world o Rawze.
Thank for accepting me into your world.
My name is Jay and I'm wanting to be OO.
My question is with all the problems motors are having, Would be better to get a older truck with a few miles (800 to a mil) pre emission and spending to rebuild it.
I'm thinking Pete 379 cat c15 pre emission twin tubro. A well maintained truck.
I hope I'm being clear enough.
Want to hear all comments good or bad.
Thanks

It all depends on what kinda truckin your doin? Over the road, off road, dump truck/dump trailer, flatbed, heavy haul, 80k and under, ect ect. No one truck does it all
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Hammerhead , Doublecoin

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.