older truck vs newer truck
03-30-2017, (Subject: older truck vs newer truck ) 
RE: older truck vs newer truck
(03-28-2017 )JEastonjr Wrote:  Hi folks, New to the world o Rawze.
Thank for accepting me into your world.
My name is Jay and I'm wanting to be OO.
My question is with all the problems motors are having, Would be better to get a older truck with a few miles (800 to a mil) pre emission and spending to rebuild it.
I'm thinking Pete 379 cat c15 pre emission twin tubro. A well maintained truck.
I hope I'm being clear enough.
Want to hear all comments good or bad.
Thanks

If you are planning on rebuild, then why pre emission truck? Why not rebuild de-mandated truck and be done. You can buy an emissions truck with 4-500,000 miles now very cheap. MM it inframe and truck on. Now if you are borrowing money to buy a truck, then that's a different story. A lot of guys on here myself included bought trucks, had the mandate removed and problems got worse. Rawze will tell you his self, most people who start having trouble and remove mandate the problem gets worse, because the damage is already done. MM is not a cure all for a sick ISX. The engine is in bad shape before you know it and MM will bring those problems out in a hurry. I would have quit trucking if not for Rawze and this web site. The enginr is like your heart. It quits your dead. All the other crap can be fixed but the engine can be very costly and break you fast. What I'm saying is the ISX can be tuned to give great service and fuel economy if done quick enough. Don't think your going to go buy a used truck that looks great and has low miles and mm it and live happily ever agter, because a lot of times that's not the case. Sometimes it is but many people on here can testify to what I am telling you. These new trucks have put many people out of business because of lack of knowledge. The type and style of truck is the last thing I look at. The first is the shape of the engine. You can make money with a 379, just not as much as something more fuel efficient. You can make money with a pre emission truck, just not as much as with a properly tuned newer engine. My personal experience is if buying a used late model emission truck you better be ready to spend some dollars. Now if you can make it over that hump then you got something. MM engine, custom engine re-build, maintain it and drive it right and you have the base needed to make money. Most first time truck owners don't have those kind of resources. Think this thing out. Don't run out here and buy a truck and go broke because of lack of knowledge. Are you going to lease truck on somewhere? Are you going to run under your own authority? Do you have operating and maintenance money put back? My advice to young guys lately has been hire on with mega company, get the benefits and insurance and save your money because it is very hard to make it this day and time. Now you could get lucky. Go to used truck lot pick out pretty truck and truck on. Or you could go to truck lot pick out pretty truck. Go to work. Start having emission probs. MM it. Then notice you have to add water evry few days. Then notice you have a little blow by and its using a little more oil than it did. Then you come on Rawze.com and start reading and studying. Your engine is wore out and needs re built. Can you afford to be off work 1-3 weeks and a 12 to 26,000 dollar repair? Go buy older truck with pre emission engine. Runs good is in good mechanical shape. Your new to the game so you don't know the ropes yet. Profit margin is small because fuel mileage isn't all that great. Probaly making about as much as company driver for mega fleet. Do you want all the hassle of owning your own truck for that kind of money? What happens is maintenance does not get done on truck because money is short. Truck starts breaking down. Your sitting not making money. Bills start to pile up. Wife is pissed, she cant get ger nails done. Get the picture here? Being an owner op is a tough game these days, especially being new to the game. Whole different ball game than driving someone elses truck. The cards are stacked against you. Do the research, think things through, talk to successful truckers, have a game plan, and have a stash of cash. So the question is, you wanna gamble?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: in2trux , Waterloo

Messages In This Thread
RE: older truck vs newer truck - axe - 03-30-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.