Face Plugged DOC
03-30-2017, (Subject: Face Plugged DOC ) 
Face Plugged DOC
Hi guys. Love all the info on this forum.

My question this morning is about the doc (diesel oxidation catalyst). I'm here at the OEM shop for ISX in Rock Island, IL. The engine is the ISX cm2250 in a 2012 386 Peterbilt 691,000 miles 550 hp 1850 torque. I got here last night with a check engine light. I think the code he read was a 3376 & they performed a manual regen while hooked to insite for 4.5 hours. At the end of their shift they said they weren't exactly sure where the problem was. The morning shift started right away on the truck. I was told about an hour ago that the DOC was face plugged. Here is where it gets good. I asked the service guy how this was possible because I just had this very same shop perform an overhead adjustment. I also had them perform a complete emissions after treatment clean & replace with new where necessary on all emissions related components. They installed a new DPF & cleaned all sensors. I was told everything looked great. This work was done last week March 22, 2017. His answer was that he's not sure. They are pulling the DOC as I type this. He said they would come get me when they had it off so I could look it over with them.

My question is has anyone else had this same problem within 4000 miles of having their after treatment maintenance performed?

Once the truck is repaired I'll continue on to my delivery in North Carolina. When I'm done with the delivery. I head to Louisiana to reload next week. I'll be going through Hotlanta on my way. I'd love to have Mr. RAWZE & or Mr. Hagg take a closer look at her if they have time to see if they could help me understand & gain more knowledge on these emissions ISX engines. The OEM shop techs all seem to be pretty tight lipped about the ongoing emissions related sensors & problems. I also had the DEF filter & forward nox sensor replaced about 4 weeks ago in Greensboro, NC.

Sorry for the long winded post. I stay on top of maintaining my equipment & I'm just very frustrated with the lack of concern that their customers are being bled dry financially from the OEM's on their product.

Thank you in advance guys. Take care & be safe out there.
replyreply
RE: Face Plugged DOC
Did it take 4.5 hrs to perform the forced regen or was it just 4.5 hrs of them poking around drinking coffee on your dime. At current labor rates you could have bought insite and a inline adapter for less (unless those take a newer level). Been able to see the true readings.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: in2trux , Waterloo
Face plugged DOC is what you hear as they're bending you over!

Regen should only take 40 minutes. Did they do a maintenance reset?

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
When I had the faceplug code it was the dpf filter that was full of ash. I bet yours was cleaned and put back on. I'm not sure if the dpf filter has a manufacturing date on it but I would insist the filter be a new OEM filter. The new one will cost around $4000 and a cleaned one will most likely be around $1000. Now, if it was me I would take a day or a week and get it to Mr Haggai to get that emissions system permanently repaired.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Get it to Rawze, he will have you diagnosed before you set the brakes in his driveway. They don't call him the truck whisperer for nothing. ;-)
replyreply
(03-30-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  When I had the faceplug code it was the dpf filter that was full of ash. I bet yours was cleaned and put back on. I'm not sure if the dpf filter has a manufacturing date on it but I would insist the filter be a new OEM filter. The new one will cost around $4000 and a cleaned one will most likely be around $1000. Now, if it was me I would take a day or a week and get it to Mr Haggai to get that emissions system permanently repaired.

I was quoted $7,000 for a new DPF... I took her home and got rid of the mandate. It felt good to carve out those cans. YEAH BABY!
replyreply
Yeah they replaced the DPF new last week. Out the door bill was $5443.00 for all emissions checked, cleaned & replaced what needed it. I will definitely see Mr. Rawze & Mr Hag if I can get with them while I'm running around down there this season. I'm beyond FED UP! They're now telling me I need a new DOC $4,000. Mr. Rawze or Mr. Hag can pm me if they want when they have time.
replyreply
Here is the whole write up for code 3376. It mentions nothing about the DOC

Fault Code: 3376

Aftertreatment Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Incomplete Regeneration - Condition Exists. The system has detected that the aftertreatment DPF differential pressure is too high following an active regeneration.Possible frequent need for aftertreatment regeneration.
The aftertreatment DPF differential pressure sensor is mounted on the DPF. It is a combination sensor that detects both DPF differential pressure and outlet pressure.
Possible causes of this fault code include:
Malfunctioning aftertreatment temperature sensor(s)
Malfunctioning or stuck in-range aftertreatment DPF differential pressure sensor
An engine malfunction resulting in high engine out smoke
Damaged or malfunctioning equipment manufacturer wiring harness to the differential pressure sensor
Aftertreatment DPF with excessive ash accumulation caused by lubricating oil consumption or coolant consumption.
replyreply
As long as your not getting DOC efficiency codes I don't think I'd let them do squat to the DOC. Chevking for a faceplugged DOC is easy. All you do is shine a high intensity light thru it and estimate how many of the passages are plugged and not letting light thru. It takes 5 minutes. Might require an hour to remove. That shops taking you for a ride. It's easier to blame another part than admit their cleaned can is still plugged.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.