Face Plugged DOC
03-30-2017, (Subject: Face Plugged DOC ) 
RE: Face Plugged DOC
I found one of the the codes that will set it there is an issue with your DOC.

Fault Code: 2638

Aftertreatment Diesel Oxidation Catalyst Conversion Efficiency - Data Valid But Below Normal Operating Range - Least Severe Level. The temperature increase across the aftertreatment diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) is lower than expected.
Active aftertreatment diesel particulate filter (DPF) regeneration will be disabled.
This fault code is logged when the conversion efficiency of the DOC is calculated to be less than that required to perform an effective regeneration.
Possible causes of this fault code include:
Soot plugging the front face of the aftertreatment DOC
Engine oil or fuel contamination of the aftertreatment DOC
A cracked or contaminated aftertreatment DOC
A damaged aftertreatment fuel injection system
A leaking exhaust system between the turbocharger and the DOC.
replyreply
I have to wonder what your iMap sensor looks like. I had to carve mine out, as it was so loaded with soot and welded in. Not that that is your problem, but after spending what, $10,000 at dealers to fix my truck, they never once replaced, much less inspected any of the sensors. I figured it all out after finding Rawze. This site and the guys here walked me through, and sometimes held my hand, as I repaired my own truck and motor in my own driveway. Imagine that? Eh?

First thing, rid myself of the mandate, which exposed deeper issues, entailing in a complete in frame. Now, she runs great, no CELs and better fuel mileage. I will be doing the overhead here as soon as I get a weekend that it does not rain. Not a shop, ME. ;-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nilao
I'm sure Rawze will be on here later with his flame thrower lol. Also inspect your delta p sensor tubes on the dpf. If ines plugged up it will also cause these codes.
replyreply
Thank you guys for all the information.

I'll check the DOC when I get back out there. I have to check my maintenance records. I'm certain that I changed the IMAP Sensor in November 2016 plus I changed the one on the top of the engine passenger side ( I cant remember the name of it) in February 2017. I know that means nothing as parts can fail prematurely.

I'm sorry guys I'm just not that knowledgeable about all of the different sensors but I'm learning the hard way. I love how knowledgeable & sharing of their time everyone is on this forum. Reminds of the times when guys would stop & assist others alongside the road.

They claim the fault code was because the sensor was giving eratic temperature readings due to the doc being plugged. I'll check to see that the dpf they put on last week is in fact new as well as the doc. They said the doc was most likely at the end of its life & will go completely soon. They're surprised that it wasn't throwing a code.

I told them that I thought an emissions pm program would visually check & then clean & or replace parts/sensors as needed.

Either way I'm beyond frustrated with all of it but willing to learn better proper ways.

Thanks again guys for all the input.
replyreply
That's the problem with taking these emission trucks to the dealers. These mechanics are clueless in most cases when it comes to these systems. The mechanic that did my in frame outright told me that, on more than a few occasions. He works at the local International dealer and is routinely going to Indiana for Cummins training. He tells me he comes out dumber than when he went in. He stated that they are fed enough information to change parts, not truly diagnose. Pretty sad, and that has been my experience over the past few years of ownership of this truck. If I have a mechanical or computer issue, the first place I go is here, and then call the dealer for parts or part numbers and buy off the internet. I can't afford to take the truck in to have it sit for days when it is usually something simple that I can repair myself. This is no longer the good old days, LOF and routine maintenance, those days are long gone. That is until you rid yourself of the mandate... ;-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: gatow900
I'm hearing you loud & clear waterloo.
replyreply
Start with an EGR tune-up and clean clean clean all the EGR components. Any of them reading incorrectly, partially clogged piping, etc. or a stuck EGR valve and is soot city + DPF/regen problems.

MOST ALL DPF and regen problems ARE CAUSED BY PROBLEMS WITH THE EGR SYSTEM AND ENGINE ITSELF, not the DPF. It is the RESULT of other problems that cause them to clog up. Running off to stealershits to get regens done and throwing expensive parts at IS NOT GOING TO SOLVE ANYTHING!, but it will put you out of business fast.

Check the tubes and boots for the DPF Delta-P sensor because that is the sensor giving you the error codes. Those tubes like to clog up and make bad readings. REPLACE THE SENSOR while you are at it for starters.

Next thing to do is pull your DOC and DPF and look at their faces. Like the others said, shine light through them too. A picture is worth a thousand words...

What does your DPF look like?...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...7#pid10137

ALSO check your decomp tube..
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...07#pid1807

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(03-30-2017 )in2trux Wrote:  Regen should only take 40 minutes.

It's only 40 minutes on a 871. A 2250 takes between an 60-90 minutes, or at least mine does. Anytime I've done a parked regen, it has always taken over 60 minutes. Usually about 80 minutes. I was curious why my regens were taking longer than the typical 40 minutes. So, I talked with a buddy of mine who is a Cummins Tech. He told me that the first 40 minutes the truck works on cleaning the DPF out. The next 40 minutes or so, the system sprays DEF and tests the SCR.

I've know this guy for almost 15 years and I really don't think he would steer me wrong. However, Cummins may be feeding him a big pile of BS, which is a very real possibility. But it makes sense with what I see in Insite while doing a parked regen.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
 Thanks given by: in2trux , fargonaz
You are correct billdozer2. I have seen the regen screen. It has to do a catalyst preheat before it starts to clean the dpf. It's definitely different from the 871.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.