Buying older ISX truck for cash vs "fleet maintained" newer ISX
04-02-2017, (Subject: Buying older ISX truck for cash vs "fleet maintained" newer ISX ) 
RE: Buying older ISX truck for cash vs "fleet maintained" newer ISX
(04-01-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  a) I have seen lots of guys buy used trucks and do very well with them. You just have to do it "smartly" and investigate well what condition the engine and truck are in during the purchase. This would include pulling engine cover and inspecting cams, drive train, suspension, ensuring it is geared and spec'd for your intentions, etc, and not just looking at the paint job and interior.

b) Either case, spending the bulk of your doe just to get into a truck is not often a good business decision. Hang onto your money so that you can deal with all the unexpected shortcomings.

c) Keep your monthly payments low so your not in a pickle, having to run like a bat out of hell just to keep up. The rule of thumb I tell others is that if you can't make your business model work on an average of about 1800 - 2200 miles a week and slowing down a tiny bit (say driving 63 mph) , then your going to be working very hard just to make it work. - Most people struggle badly and many fail when outside of that zone, especially on their first truck purchase.

d)Don't start a foot race by shooting yourself in the big toe the day before the race. Don't run your first marathon against all the seasoned veterans who know how to pace themselves expecting to do better. It simply is not going to happen. The wheel of success has already been invented, stop trying to invent your own. Instead, follow those as closely as possible the ones who are the most successful. Once you are where they are, and are just as successful, that is when you can apply your own ideas and can have breathing room to get creative.

Don't get caught up in this life-cycle I see over and over....
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...18#pid6718

a) I agree that buying a used truck is the way to go, my question was about the "range" of used to buy of. Colour and interior are kindof irrelevant, new paint is cheaper than new engine. Interiors are all the same, really. Gearing wise, virtually all trucks are geared for 62-65, we are speed limited by the government, and 13's rein supreme for climbing canadian rockies.

b) Thanks. That is one of the big things I've been wrestling with. I read alot of financial strategy type guys who advocate "cash for everything, I don't borrow money --ever!!--" but even if I end up paying a bit in Interest on a truck loan... I'll have the security of keeping a large chunk of cash in the bank if anything goes seriously wrong.

c) In your book you suggest that I should be able to make my payments on a 1/3rd of my miles per month. The trucks I've been considering are based on that, as a maximum.
I drive at 60 MPH even though I'm still company(65 Limit). I consider it practice along with trip profit-loss statements. I've also done trying to keep my boost at 20 PSI. Not sure exactly what the difference is between turning down the horsepower and not using it, topic for a different thread.

d) lol, this is something I'll have to put on a Post-It note and stick on my windshield. Maybe right in the middle. This is some advice that I think I'll have to beat into my own head.

I'm still going through the wealth of whats here in the forum, and waiting on a good deal as far as trucks go. So I'm gonna lurk here and there before I decide to pull the trigger on anything.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Buying older ISX truck for cash vs "fleet maintained" newer ISX - Sledge - 04-02-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.