Buying older ISX truck for cash vs "fleet maintained" newer ISX
04-27-2017, (Subject: Buying older ISX truck for cash vs "fleet maintained" newer ISX ) 
RE: Buying older ISX truck for cash vs "fleet maintained" newer ISX
(04-13-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  Also I believe the term "fleet maintained" is an oxy moron, right???
You can say that again. Got my first truck, a 2010 T2, at 605k. Spent alot of time fixing problems with it in my spare time, maintaining it, etc... Religious oil changes and preventative maintenance. Ate a cam at 685k. Waiting on an inframe now.

If I knew then what I know now, the first weekend I had it, I would have pulled the top end apart, made sure it was getting oil and that the oil passages weren't plugged, then run the overhead. I'd inspect it as best I could prior to purchase for signs of a bad cam. (Ticking, etc) Pretty sure your typical lot won't appreciate you popping off the valve cover though.

My truck was 'fleet maintained'. I bought it through my company. While my company pays well and I really like my terminal and working relationships with dispatch, corporate suffers from the same bullshit alot of other companies do. Penny pinching. After being promised help with something like this if it were to happen (and I specifically asked about this), their help ended by telling me no and to spend twice as much on a T660...similar miles and powertrain, or a newer '18 Pete with crappar power. Cost benefit analysis is in favor of the inframe.

I'll fix and keep my ISX. I'm good with a T2 and a fresh engine.

If you go used, just be prepared to get your hands dirty. Like I've told others, don't be like alot of fleets...Be proactive, not reactive when it comes to maintenance. That's the only reason right now I'm coming out ahead with the inframe. If I wasn't, I'd be getting another truck...still used...at twice the cost, to boot. Also, don't expect people to fulfill their promises when it comes to money.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , fargonaz , Waterloo

Messages In This Thread
RE: Buying older ISX truck for cash vs "fleet maintained" newer ISX - dhirocz - 04-27-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.