Buying older ISX truck for cash vs "fleet maintained" newer ISX
04-28-2017, (Subject: Buying older ISX truck for cash vs "fleet maintained" newer ISX ) 
RE: Buying older ISX truck for cash vs "fleet maintained" newer ISX
(04-27-2017 )dhirocz Wrote:  Someone has to know. I've only been an O/O for a year, and most of the guys who buy used but refuse to roll up their sleeves go broke quickly with an ex fleet truck.

I wouldn't have been profitable much at all last year had I relied on a shop, between the cost and the downtime. I spent so much on parts, I was surprised when I got a tax return last week.

Before this emission crap, I rarely turned a wrench. Simple maintenance, change the oil, filters, lube, that was about it... A big thing used to be a brake job, bearings or an overhead. And I just let my local shop handle all of that, my repair bills were miniscule and the repairs were never that expensive and the truck was up and running in a matter of hours. It was not even worth running out and buying tools to make the repairs with so many shops around and low rates. And by all accounts, if you just looked after the truck(s), they were very very reliable.

NOW, LMAO!!! Tools baby, diagnostic equipment, big tool chests, electrical service kits, specialty tools out the ass. I am now working on filing my second tool chest... Those days of running it into the local shop are long gone. And so are the mechanics that used to be able to actually fix things. That master of repair that used to be down the street is now dead or retired and has been replaced with a parts changer with a fancy title and tiny paycheck. He only knows what the book tells him, and what steps to take to make the repair, which rarely ever fixes the problem. Sad commentary, but what I have found over the past few years. I just spent most of the week under my truck making repairs and fixing other things, and my back is killing me. They sure don't make trucks like they used to... They finally perfected these trucks from the days of the oil blowing V-8's, and then the government steps in and destroys everything. Buy tools, lots of tools and educate yourself, because you are the first line of defense, unless you are fortunate to have a Gearhead, Unilever or Mr Hagi in the neighborhood.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

Messages In This Thread
RE: Buying older ISX truck for cash vs "fleet maintained" newer ISX - Waterloo - 04-28-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.