Bypass Oil Filter
04-10-2017, (Subject: Bypass Oil Filter ) 
RE: Bypass Oil Filter
(04-09-2017 )05ISX450 Wrote:  Tried the Spinner on MY ISX , Didn't work. I Use a Puradyne filter, and have had very good results.

Those guys brag all over their website about extending oil drain intervals just like all the other bypass oil crack-pots companies out there pushing these things.

Bypass oil filters are good to have to help keep soot out of your oil, extending an emissions engines life. Just keep in mind that extended oil drains (and extended + synthetic) are NOT recommended on the ISX engine. Not by the engine maker, and not by me!. - I have seen too many problems people have had by doing this, especially with overhead cams.

My own history with bypass systems..
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...657#pid657

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: lovoltage , MommaBurt , Toolguy
(04-10-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(04-09-2017 )05ISX450 Wrote:  Tried the Spinner on MY ISX , Didn't work. I Use a Puradyne filter, and have had very good results.

Those guys brag all over their website about extending oil drain intervals just like all the other bypass oil crack-pots companies out there pushing these things.

Bypass oil filters are good to have to help keep soot out of your oil, extending an emissions engines life. Just keep in mind that extended oil drains (and extended + synthetic) are NOT recommended on the ISX engine. Not by the engine maker, and not by me!. - I have seen too many problems people have had by doing this, especially with overhead cams.

Thanks Rawze. Never been a fan of extended oil and synthetic oil circle as I saw too many times the "set it and forget it" mindset take over. Guess you could do this at home with a new car but too much is riding on the oil in my opinion for a big truck or anything that makes me money.
replyreply
Speaking about extended oil changes, I know it isn't truck oil, but I just about fell out of my chair the first time I saw this commercial.

https://youtu.be/GSsj2LeIXfI

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
(04-10-2017 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  Speaking about extended oil changes, I know it isn't truck oil, but I just about fell out of my chair the first time I saw this commercial.

https://youtu.be/GSsj2LeIXfI

Seems to make the point on why I'm against this kind of maintenance practice. On its face: Uneducated users with consumer devices meets labcoat guy with all the answers. #1 uneducated consumer "problem" is opening the hood cause its scary. This is why BMW made cars with no oil dipsticks. Changing oil in my car is scary....

Big trucks are in a different category, though many drivers are ignorant. SMH :/
replyreply
04-11-2017, (Subject: Bypass Oil Filter ) 
Would the extra filtering mask problems on an oil analysis.

Thanks
T700
replyreply
(04-10-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  

I never said I do extended oil drains. I do not ! I will say that there is a lot more filter material than with the Amsoil set up. Filters are less expensive too, 1 because it doesn't say Amsoil on it and 2 because you just buy the filter, with no metal spin on housing. Just my 2 cents worth.
replyreply
There is a show on The Sports Network here in Canada called "MotoringXXXX" The X's stand for whichever year the show is from. On the show there is a small segment where some mechanic gives car care tips. Nothing too involved, stuff like change your oil, check tire pressures and a small demonstration.

I remember one show from the late 90's where this mechanic opened his segment standing behind one of his rolling tool chests and there was an oil filter on the chest with the open end up. He was explaining that the 100000 mile spark plug intervals did not mean the engine didn't need some seeing to in between. He then went on to explain that he was brought a car where there was some engine issues. He found out the oil and NEVER been changed on the car in it's 80000 miles probably because the owner wasn't told this was a requirement and was too stupid/lazy to read the manual. This is when the oil filter that has been kinda in the background came to be the only thing that filled the screen. There was a screwdriver standing in the oil filter being supported by the sludge in the bottom of the filter such that the screwdriver was completely vertical and not touching the sides of the hole.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
04-12-2017, (Subject: Bypass Oil Filter ) 
(04-11-2017 )05ISX450 Wrote:  I never said I do extended oil drains. I do not ! I will say that there is a lot more filter material than with the Amsoil set up. Filters are less expensive too, 1 because it doesn't say Amsoil on it and 2 because you just buy the filter, with no metal spin on housing. Just my 2 cents worth.

Calm down chief. I write things to reflect LOTS of people who may be reading, not just you.

By the way, I am not partial to Amsoil, I dislike their over-priced so called super-duper oil actually. If you found a system that costs less and is just as effective then that is great!. The Amsoil last I checked was about $400 or so by the time you got it installed and about $36 for the filter elements that last 80k miles or more typically. Thats pretty cheap if you ask me.

Let us all know what you paid for the system by the time you got it up and running, what the elements cost, and how long they are lasting. That way people can make a choice.

Just about ALL the brands of bypass oil systems do a fair good job of removing soot from these emissions motors from what I have seen. I just don't agree with extended oil changes and sampling vs. regular oil changes.

I could give a rats arsse what brand someone gets or uses if it works fairly well. When someone asks me, I simply refer them to the less expensive brands that work well and don't cost $1,000+ just to get up and running. Some are ridiculously expensive and make unnecessary claims, and are nothing but money traps with very expensive filters, yet do no better than a cheaper brand.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
04-12-2017, (Subject: Bypass Oil Filter ) 
I do not want to extend oil change intervals.
Did not know if the bypass filter may remove more solids and may not show
engine wear problems when doing an oil analysis.

Not sure how this works.
What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks
T700
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.