09 Prostar running hot
05-17-2017, (Subject: 09 Prostar running hot ) 
RE: 09 Prostar running hot
Okay, still not fixed! Put a thermostat, water filter, charge cooler, checked turbo function, it is fine, Rawze egr tune up, finally put a water pump on it. Radiator is a year old. STILL getting to 225 on small grades! Goes to220 with no load. Anyone know where I should go next? Can the dpf be plugged without throwing a code?
replyreply
Also, doesn't use any water or oil looked inside the radiator when I took the hoses off to change the water pump. No obstructions and the cooling tubes looked fine, not corroded or plugged. Fan clutch is fine. Can the dpf be ( baked to clean) on this truck?
replyreply
Could it be the oil cooler or thermostat?
replyreply
Sounds like you did most of the normal stuff. If I owned it, I would be taking things apart again and verifying there was no issues with the cooling components, Thermostat, radiator, CAC, A/C condenser, and sensor(s), cooling fan, etc. I would ensure there were no blockages in the cooling passages in the engine and other components too. I would ensure air was not getting into the system and causing flow problems. After that, I would be pulling the emissions system cans off and having them cleaned, baked, and flow tested. I would verify the programming was correct, and that the the static timing of the engine was correct too. I would be pulling the pan off and inspecting the rod and main bearings as well, looking for anything that might be causing too much internal friction. - It is not rocket science,.. it is an engine.

You never did mention what boost gets up to or your pyro temps. ANYONE who does not have those gauges are only driving it blind in my opinion anyways. Without them, a person has no clue or guide-point towards driving a truck efficiently. Even those who claim to be really good drivers do much better with those gauges if they drive by them after they are installed. - Just my own take on it anyways.

For all you know, without boost or pyro gauges, the turbo could be making 50 lbs of boost pressure and over-boosting like mad, putting the engine into a serious internal strain. I know of one guy who cracked 2 heads before he finally put those gauges on,.. and the day he did, he found out his turbo was way-over-spooling due to a bad exhaust gas pressure sensor that never threw any kind of fault.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mt farmer , fargonaz
Put a boost gage in it and it goes to 36-37 lbs on a hard pull. Have not put a pyrometer on it yet. Cummins dealer checked the programming. All they say is we will have to wait for something to throw a code!
replyreply
05-18-2017, (Subject: 09 Prostar running hot ) 
Typical dealer B.S. "oh there's no codes so we can't find our asses with both hands unless the computer tells us where to find our ass." If you have not already put a new temp sensor on it. I think it's operating properly based on the reading of 205 at the top pipe and 210 on the gauge. it is possible to have a plugged DPF filter without a code if some jackass did a maintenance reset and neglected to replace or clean the can. As much as you've spent on it already you probably could have had a reputable independent shop look at it that does things the old way. Is the egr piping leaking behind the block where the high temp silicon flex pipe is at which would allow high temperature exhaust to continuously run through the EGR cooler? My temperature would go up and down due to my thermostat sticking. You are obviously getting excessive heat load somewhere. As stated before, get your static timing verified as the gears for the cams are tapered and if you have the old style retaining plate on the injector can it's possible that it has slipped, throwing off your timing. That problem will not throw a code because that is a unmonitored mechanical failure. My 2011 prostar injector cam had slipped and mine was at 620k miles with the old style retaining plate. Unlike the newer 2250 and 2350 motors with common rail electronic injectors our 871 injectors are mechanical. That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure more will come to me later.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Mt farmer , fargonaz
if you find yourself back at the dealer or find someone with Cummins insite on a laptop ask them to print out a copy of your engine's last 10 regens, if it is showing more than 2.5 InHg on the Maximum Diesel Particulate Filter Differential Pressure column then your cans need attention.

User's Signature: In the immortal words of Romeo as he gazed upon Juliet's eyes..."Wait...We Drank What?!"
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mt farmer
sounds to me like blockage in the oilcoolers i have seen this where the water can't get threw check it with temp gun see what you see.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mt farmer
That's it! On the way for a de-mandate tomorrow
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.