Oil pan debris
04-14-2017, (Subject: Oil pan debris ) 
RE: Oil pan debris
(04-14-2017 )386lover Wrote:  Where on the cooling nozzle does the plastic come from? As far as I can see they are a bent metal tube that are connected to the oil passages on the block with a banjo bolt. CM871

The cooling jets have metal tubes where the oil sprays the Pistons, but the body is molded polycarbonate (plastic).

I here ya on the self repairs. I would think as a shop owner I would be very uncomfortable standing behind my work if I didn't remove a broken piece of metal from the pan.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 386lover
(04-14-2017 )386lover Wrote:  
(04-14-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  The brown pieces are definitely part of the piston cooling jet. I'd replace them all if one has started to fall apart. If you lose a jet you will lose the piston in short order. The metal almost looks like a gear tooth. Hard to tell. Almost looks like a piece of the rings also.

Where on the cooling nozzle does the plastic come from? As far as I can see they are a bent metal tube that are connected to the oil passages on the block with a banjo bolt. CM871

The cooling nozzles are made of a brown plastic roughly the same color as the debris you have in the pan. The connectors on the engine brake harness also have this brown plastic too, so you should consider both as culprits. As others have said, if it is in fact a cooling jet, that is a serious issue that can cause engine failure. Nothing to play with. Inspect them thoroughly and ensure it is not one of them. http://www.benya.com.tw/proimages/pb/CMC27BK-POJ0.jpg

I kinda agree with hammerhead. Any serious work where something has come apart, the pan should have been taken off and cleaned out, but is not something every mechanic would think of. Only problem is that debris can get into passages and not drop all the way to the pan for a month. A good measure for sure, but you may still end up with a piece of leftovers in the bottom of the pan the next time it is apart.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 386lover
(04-14-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(04-14-2017 )386lover Wrote:  
(04-14-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  The brown pieces are definitely part of the piston cooling jet. I'd replace them all if one has started to fall apart. If you lose a jet you will lose the piston in short order. The metal almost looks like a gear tooth. Hard to tell. Almost looks like a piece of the rings also.

Where on the cooling nozzle does the plastic come from? As far as I can see they are a bent metal tube that are connected to the oil passages on the block with a banjo bolt. CM871

The cooling nozzles are made of a brown plastic roughly the same color as the debris you have in the pan. The connectors on the engine brake harness also have this brown plastic too, so you should consider both as culprits. As others have said, if it is in fact a cooling jet, that is a serious issue that can cause engine failure. Nothing to play with. Inspect them thoroughly and ensure it is not one of them. http://www.benya.com.tw/proimages/pb/CMC27BK-POJ0.jpg

I kinda agree with hammerhead. Any serious work where something has come apart, the pan should have been taken off and cleaned out, but is not something every mechanic would think of. Only problem is that debris can get into passages and not drop all the way to the pan for a month. A good measure for sure, but you may still end up with a piece of leftovers in the bottom of the pan the next time it is apart.

I did look at each nozzle from underneath with a bright flashlight and they all appeared identical and did not appear to be cracked or broken in any way. I would lean more toward the engine brake harness, as I had the cam replaced last year and 3 injectors this year. Do the connectors attach to the harness with big zip ties? That would explain the pieces of that too.
replyreply
04-17-2017, (Subject: Oil pan debris ) 
(04-14-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(04-14-2017 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  If that is a 2250 or 2350 might be plastic from the injector harness. They are bad about braking..As far as the metal not sure looks like bearing from camshaft if it spun one......

(04-14-2017 )386lover Wrote:  It's a 871. I did replace one of the cans because the lobes on it were literally flaking off

Mr Hagg, if you replaced a component, i.e. a broken cam gear, would it not be as part of the repair procedure to remove the oil pan to retrieve the broken piece? As this situation shows, it would remove the mystery of future repairs now possibly chasing "ghosts".
I realize there is more than just the metal pieces, it is more of a generalization.

Yes you should and if there is a lot of metal in the oil pan Id remove the oil pump if you see signs of metal going through it then replace the oil cooler for sure...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Hammerhead
04-17-2017, (Subject: Oil pan debris ) 
I saw Mr Hagg use an electric oil pump on a shop cart to pump clean oil thru the engine when a 2250 customer had fuel pump ceramic plungers breaking apart. Good way to flush debris down to the pan.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Mrkentee , Waterloo
04-18-2017, (Subject: Oil pan debris ) 
I pulled the valve cover and one of the clips that covers the spade connector on the jake solenoid is missing so I'm about positive that's what it was.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Hammerhead

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.