Piston/ liner question
04-13-2017, (Subject: Piston/ liner question ) 
Piston/ liner question
Freind at alocal shop sent me these pics from an 871 hes got apart. Cracked piston, and what looks like a pitted liner. No abnormal issues. Tgen all of a sudden smoke pouring out breather. Would a faulty injector have been the culprit? All other cylinders are good. No head damage. No head gasket problems. About 450k miles.      

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz
04-14-2017, (Subject: Piston/ liner question ) 
RE: Piston/ liner question
Looking at the liner pic the injector appears to be spraying outside of the cup of the piston which is definitely not good.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , Rig Wrench
double post
replyreply
Injector.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rig Wrench
Yep seen this before......Stopped up injectors from running clogged DPF and causing cylinder to run lean...Should have had a really crisp sound to it before this happens though...
replyreply
How much power was the engine set to? Mandated, de-mandated? etc.

hard to tell in the pic where on the piston it is cracked. Intake side? exhaust side?

I have seen carbon buildup do that too resulting in poor piston cooling in the skirt. Just saying.

The pattern on the liner could have been from before it failed, OR after, depending on the nature of the failure.

You can tell though, the piston was not being cooled evenly, nor did it have a nice spray pattern on shadow on it, but more like a partial.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.