Volvo headlights
03-12-2016, (Subject: Volvo headlights ) 
RE: Volvo headlights
You guys are all saving money in all the wrong places , MOST of the LED light bulbs are not DOT legal , in case of accident if your truck gets inspected and them lights are found , we'll let's just say you are in world of trouble . Saw this happen to a local guy , he got in tons of trouble as lawyers picked him apart .
replyreply
03-13-2016, (Subject: Volvo headlights ) 
New 670 volvo owner and I find the lights weak to,
Just got theese hope they will make difference
./uploads/201603/post_1749_1457854196_b954547a1ccef6e6db998ba2213845c3.jpeg
replyreply
03-13-2016, (Subject: Volvo headlights ) 
sbtrucking - those will be an improvement over the stock type bulbs. Having said that they cost about 2 1/2 times as much and will last about 1/2 the time as a stock bulb. I put a pair of these in late last March or early April and even leaving the lights off and running as much as possible on daytime running lights both of these were burned out by December.

doc - the DOT problem is something I had forgotten about when I installed the LED bulbs. I might have to rethink this.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
03-14-2016, (Subject: Volvo headlights ) 
(03-13-2016 )kryten Wrote:  sbtrucking - those will be an improvement over the stock type bulbs. Having said that they cost about 2 1/2 times as much and will last about 1/2 the time as a stock bulb. I put a pair of these in late last March or early April and even leaving the lights off and running as much as possible on daytime running lights both of these were burned out by December.

doc - the DOT problem is something I had forgotten about when I installed the LED bulbs. I might have to rethink this.

I hope they last me to december for $50 and then I can upgrade to led or hid,
I heard even the cheap h9 are brighter then best h11s out there, they just have a shorter life and not sure if the extra heat from 65w
will couse problems.
replyreply
03-14-2016, (Subject: Volvo headlights ) 
(03-14-2016 )sbtrucking Wrote:  
(03-13-2016 )kryten Wrote:  sbtrucking - those will be an improvement over the stock type bulbs. Having said that they cost about 2 1/2 times as much and will last about 1/2 the time as a stock bulb. I put a pair of these in late last March or early April and even leaving the lights off and running as much as possible on daytime running lights both of these were burned out by December.

I heard even the cheap h9 are brighter then best h11s out there, they just have a shorter life and not sure if the extra heat from 65w
will couse problems.

A video for installing HID (bi xenon) kit in Volvo. The kit in the video used the HID bulb for both low and high beam and deactivates the factory high beam. I'm thinking this would be an inspectors wet dream on a road side inspection. I think the later kits have the ability to retain the factory high beam. Also keep in mind few if any of these kits are DOT legal so see what DRISX wrote a couple of posts ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beF8ShmNlo4

The maker of the HID kit http://www.deepspacelighting.com

replyreply
03-16-2016, (Subject: Volvo headlights ) 
(03-14-2016 )kryten Wrote:  

will couse problems.

A video for installing HID (bi xenon) kit in Volvo. The kit in the video used the HID bulb for both low and high beam and deactivates the factory high beam. I'm thinking this would be an inspectors wet dream on a road side inspection. I think the later kits have the ability to retain the factory high beam. Also keep in mind few if any of these kits are DOT legal so see what DRISX wrote a couple of posts ago.

I like that hid kit, is there a way to find out if its dot legal?
replyreply
03-16-2016, (Subject: Volvo headlights ) 
I like that hid kit, is there a way to find out if its dot legal?

Here is an article I found from Oct 2012. Short answer is HID's are not legal.

http://xtremerevolution.net/are-hid-kits-legal-or-safe/

replyreply
03-18-2016, (Subject: Volvo headlights ) 
A quick update. I reinstalled the stock halogen H11 bulbs to see what the big difference was with the illegal LED bulbs. I can say that with the new light assembly there is nothing wrong with the halogen lights. There is plenty of light spread across the road from shoulder to shoulder with good visibility overall. The biggest plus with the stock bulbs is when switching from low to hi or hi to low beam the "color" is the same. My 53 year old eyes were annoyed at the sudden change of color when the LED's were installed.

Now if Volvo could come up with a reflector design that didn't degrade so badly, a quick polish a couple of times a year would keep the lights like new.

replyreply
03-23-2016, (Subject: Volvo headlights ) 
(03-14-2016 )kryten Wrote:  

will couse problems.

I installed this kit in my 2013 670 and I love it. Huge difference from stock lights and is the best $450 I've ever spent. Two thumbs up and I recommend to anyone with a 2014 and older VNL.

HID kits are illegal in non-projector housings. The stock VNL headlights have projectors (although they are terrible) and get cloudy internally. Which is why the kit comes with new projector housings. There is a clear "light line" with little to no glare above that line. If the headlights are adjusted properly, you won't piss anyone off and is perfectly legal.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.