Volvo headlights
03-10-2016, (Subject: Volvo headlights ) 
Volvo headlights
As many people with Volvos know, the headlights kinda suck. Recently I tried installing LED bulbs in the place of the H11 low beam bulbs. Shining them on the shop doors I could notice a very distinct difference in light output between the two lights, the left one was about 50 - 60 % the brightness of the right one. I tried running it on the road for a week and there was no real improvement over the old halogen bulbs, it was like the left light was burned out. A couple of days ago I got home and took apart the light and this is what I found on the reflector for the projector.

./uploads/201603/post_1327_1457626548_2fdc4554af42705158608f380ef01893.jpg

./uploads/201603/post_1327_1457626587_1d5c9c0130b9a86e6ee633f33ee3d52b.jpg

A good portion of the reflector has worn or burned away so the light just does not have a chance to get out of the housing. A call to Volvo asking if I could buy just the projector assembly resulted in an ear full of sarcastic laughter from the parts man. The only solution is to buy a new headlight assembly at great cost. At time of calling I was quoted $370.00 (cdn), went in the next day to pick it up and they tried to charge me $477.00. Fortunately I had asked the first guy to put my name on one and he taped a quote sheet to the box so they had to (reluctantly) give it to me for $370.00.

Tonight I will find out if the new light make a big difference or only a slight improvement.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
RE: Volvo headlights
(03-10-2016 )kryten Wrote:  As many people with Volvos know, the headlights kinda suck. Recently I tried installing LED bulbs in the place of the H11 low beam bulbs. Shining them on the shop doors I could notice a very distinct difference in light output between the two lights, the left one was about 50 - 60 % the brightness of the right one. I tried running it on the road for a week and there was no real improvement over the old halogen bulbs, it was like the left light was burned out. A couple of days ago I got home and took apart the light and this is what I found on the reflector for the projector.

Expensive lesson. CBS Parts sells them for 240.00 same mfg just doesn't say Volvo. Also you can go to a wrecker and buy a damaged one for cheap for parts......

A good portion of the reflector has worn or burned away so the light just does not have a chance to get out of the housing. A call to Volvo asking if I could buy just the projector assembly resulted in an ear full of sarcastic laughter from the parts man. The only solution is to buy a new headlight assembly at great cost. At time of calling I was quoted $370.00 (cdn), went in the next day to pick it up and they tried to charge me $477.00. Fortunately I had asked the first guy to put my name on one and he taped a quote sheet to the box so they had to (reluctantly) give it to me for $370.00.

Tonight I will find out if the new light make a big difference or only a slight improvement.
replyreply
Not to sound cheap, But I wonder if that chrome reflective tape
Would work ? Go ahead and laugh I understand. LOl
replyreply
Not to sound cheap, But I wonder if that chrome reflective tape
Would work ? Go ahead and laugh I understand. LOl

I was actually wondering (for at least 4 seconds) if "chrome paint" had made any improvements in looks since my Dad used it 20 years ago. At least with the new light assembly it will be good for another 4 years. With the LED bulb there may be less heat right on the housing so may last even longer.

replyreply
03-11-2016, (Subject: Volvo headlights ) 
If you have the $ why not retrofit the new Volvo LED headlights? I think they mount with no mods and use the same plugs. I'm not 100% on that. I don't own a Volvo.

Here's a link....Pricey I know

http://www.amazon.com/Volvo-Truck-Headli...B00JYEUWF6
replyreply
Chrome paint will not last long.
If outside plastic is not scratched or yellow you can install projectors from car with some modification. I did and can share how.
HID projectors is good but you need to have spare parts in case light is down on the road.
LED headlights in my opinion is overpriced. LED itself probably will work 10,000 hours but again, plastic cover can't withstand road rocks and sand. in four years it will be dull and yellow.
This is why many drivers call Volvo Vulva.
replyreply
https://youtu.be/Ean_5HIqOx8
replyreply
03-12-2016, (Subject: Volvo headlights ) 
buy the aftermarket lights for volvo at joplin chrome shop or order them online. great improvement on light and the lens does not fade like the OEM part. i had them for a year and a half and very satisfied.
your other option buy the LED headlight but those cost 1500$

(03-10-2016 )kryten Wrote:  As many people with Volvos know, the headlights kinda suck. Recently I tried installing LED bulbs in the place of the H11 low beam bulbs. Shining them on the shop doors I could notice a very distinct difference in light output between the two lights, the left one was about 50 - 60 % the brightness of the right one. I tried running it on the road for a week and there was no real improvement over the old halogen bulbs, it was like the left light was burned out. A couple of days ago I got home and took apart the light and this is what I found on the reflector for the projector.

replyreply
03-12-2016, (Subject: Volvo headlights ) 
When my local Volvo dealer first received the LED headlight assemblies they were charging $950 cdn each. After barely tolerating the stock lights last fall I went into my dealer fully intending to walk out with 2 new LED light assemblies. The only small wrinkle was the price had gone up just a wee bit. Grote lights were $1400 each and the Volvo lights were $1600 each. Obviously they want them more than I do.

Getting back to my new set up, after a bit of tweaking with the aim I have now spent several hours in the dark and can report the new light assembly makes a huge difference. The bulbs I have in the low beam side are cree LED H11 replacements rated at 1200 lumens with a color of 6500k. I have not been flashed in the two nights and can actually see both sides of the road for the first time in a couple of years.

The one thing that has taken a bit of getting used to is adjusting to the difference in the color between the LEDs and the high beam halogen.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.