Doing overhead today, CM-871
04-23-2017, (Subject: Doing overhead today, CM-871 ) 
Doing overhead today, CM-871
Like the title says, going out in a few minutes to start the overhead... Finally have some good weather and it is time. Anything I should look at or for that is not obvious when I am in there? Truck is running good, but is smoking a bit more than it should at start up, along with mpg drop. I am figuring the overhead will take care of that. I also, yesterday, pulled the cans off and gutted them right to the walls. I am thinking that my prior job was not good enough and is contributing to my turbo slobber. I was surprised at how little I took out of the DOC when I did the mm. I was actually pissed at myself. So I broke out the hammer and finished the job. That will go back together Monday, as I need to pick up new can gaskets from the dealer... Other than that, and an unexpected coolant leak at my Tri-Pac, which I caught in time, the truck has been trouble free. I have actually had a few months in a row of happy motoring! A first with this truck. Used to be if I got two weeks back to back without trouble I was lucky.

And it has only taken four years to get to this point...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , rgreen
04-23-2017, (Subject: Doing overhead today, CM-871 ) 
RE: Doing overhead today, CM-871
I'm about the same Waterloo. Mine smokes at start up in the morning but stops once it reaches operating temperature. I'm thinking it's time for new actuators as these have 700k miles. As far as the overhead I just look for the normal stuff. Cam lobes starting to fail. Unusual wear on the rollers. Cam bearings where they should be. Outside of that I think you'd be fine with the simple overhead set.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , rgreen
07-04-2017, (Subject: Doing overhead today, CM-871 ) 
Doing my first overhead on this truck, CM2350 and when I opened it up I found this stuff. Anybody else seeing this? 186xxx miles oil changed every 15k and I don't idle.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
Do you do oil samples when you change your oil?

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
(07-04-2017 )dhirocz Wrote:  Do you do oil samples when you change your oil?

Nope, probably should start there. Not losing any coolant but somehow moisture caused that corrosion. The truck runs 6 days a week and oil temp. is around 215-220 all the time. I've never seen this unless an engine has sat for a long time.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
1st pic is #1, the second is #6. It almost looks like it isn't getting proper oil volume up front
replyreply
SchlSM, Did it sit for an extended period at some point?
WATERLOO, if you're smoking at startup id recommend checking out them injectors if you havent already. Ur idle smooth? I found one of mine was jacked up and leaking like a faucet after doing mm and pulling the boost out at idle. Went from 6.5-7mpg empty to 10. De-mandates really expose what condition the engine is really in.
replyreply
(07-04-2017 )smorgan87 Wrote:  SchlSM, Did it sit for an extended period at some point?
WATERLOO, if you're smoking at startup id recommend checking out them injectors if you havent already. Ur idle smooth? I found one of mine was jacked up and leaking like a faucet after doing mm and pulling the boost out at idle. Went from 6.5-7mpg empty to 10. De-mandates really expose what condition the engine is really in.

I don't recall him saying anything about doing injectors, but Waterloo has done a recent (since he mm'd his ECM) executive class inframe on his truck. I'm pretty sure it's in above average condition judging by his knowledge base and the work he has talked about doing on this site.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(07-04-2017 )smorgan87 Wrote:  SchlSM, Did it sit for an extended period at some point?
It sat at the dealership for close to a year before I bought it
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.