Need HELP ASAP on Tri-Pac coolant line plumbing...
04-23-2017, (Subject: Need HELP ASAP on Tri-Pac coolant line plumbing... ) 
Need HELP ASAP on Tri-Pac coolant line plumbing...
What would cause the outlet hose on my Tri-Pac to bulge and fail? I inspected the two lines, the Tri-Pac outlet is connected to the coolant hose that goes to the back of the block. The inlet hose into the Tri-Pac radiator is connected to the water pump on the motor.

There is a dual valve shut off in-between. The shut off does not work, but there are two other fittings on that unit, one side may be a direct bypass of the turn off valve, I do not know.

I replaced the Tri-Pac Thermostat, as that is directly in line with my blown hose... But that is on the outlet side. I do not see how that could pressurize the hose enough to blow a hole in it. Any thoughts?

Do I possibly have my coolant lines reversed? Where my line attaches at the back of the water pump. Is that sucking coolant or is it pushing coolant out of that port at the ISX water pump?
replyreply
RE: Tri-Pac APU mechanical question
My thoughts are that the lines are reversed....just swap the hoses on the TriPac side of the unit...also, how old are the hoses? Never heard of one blowing apart unless the hose was split from age...

JMHO....

User's Signature: You want how much?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I figured it out, the hoses are reversed... Talk about a dumb ass, I sure do feel like one!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: scottydogtruck
(04-23-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  I figured it out, the hoses are reversed... Talk about a dumb ass, I sure do feel like one!

I hope your overhead goe's well today, make sure you put everything back together correctly-)))))

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
RE: Need HELP ASAP on Tri-Pac coolant line plumbing...
Now I am not so sure the lines were reversed! No overhead today! Having a fit with this thing... Outlet (thermostat side) from Tri-Pac is fed into the inlet at the back side of the water pump on the ISX. I am assuming this is correct?

The radiator inlet side on the Tri-Pac feeds into a line that goes all the way over the top of the motor to the back side of the engine block... Does this sound correct?

Now the issue, I started the Tri-Pac, and thought I had her bled, I guess I did not. She shut down and through the ENG code... I drained the coolant out of the thermostat side, line is closed. Then I bled using the petcock, well a bit came out and then nothing. Nothing is coming out of the petcock on an open line. I wish it were Monday, as I would just call the dealer...
replyreply
https://www.na.thermoking.com

Maybe this help's

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
(04-23-2017 )hhow55 Wrote:  https://www.na.thermoking.com

Maybe this help's

Been to your link, had the install manual up for the Tri-Pac, and the ISX water cooling schematics... I don't understand the thinking behind whomever hooked this unit up. The outlet side of the Tri-Pac (thermostat side) is supposed to go to the inlet side of the ISX water pump, according to TK manual. The inlet side of the Tri-Pac (radiator side) is supposed to go to the engine block. Well, I hooked it up like that and had opposite results when attempting to purge the TP unit of air, as the manual shows you.

Whoever did the install, there are two different methods according to the TK manual... Well these guys took the difficult road, as all of the plumbing is right in front of your face to hook this thing up properly, and easily. The installer hit every hard to reach place in the book, instead of just hooking up to the heater lines with T's and routing appropriately. Or at least in a common sense fashion. And the damn shut off valve does not work either, using my handy dandy surgical clamps, needle nose vice grip pliers... Orthopedic surgery was easier to figure out than this abortion. And yes, I am reading to much into this... Information overload, I am sure this will take two minutes on the phone in the morning. My head hurts, thank God the beer is cold!
replyreply
(04-23-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  What would cause the outlet hose on my Tri-Pac to bulge and fail? I inspected the two lines, the Tri-Pac outlet is connected to the coolant hose that goes to the back of the block. The inlet hose into the Tri-Pac radiator is connected to the water pump on the motor.

There is a dual valve shut off in-between. The shut off does not work, but there are two other fittings on that unit, one side may be a direct bypass of the turn off valve, I do not know.

I replaced the Tri-Pac Thermostat, as that is directly in line with my blown hose... But that is on the outlet side. I do not see how that could pressurize the hose enough to blow a hole in it. Any thoughts?

Do I possibly have my coolant lines reversed? Where my line attaches at the back of the water pump. Is that sucking coolant or is it pushing coolant out of that port at the ISX water pump?

Idk, but is this the line that bust on you?

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
05-02-2017, (Subject: Need HELP ASAP on Tri-Pac coolant line plumbing... ) 
No, the line coming off of the motor to the Tri-Pac. The outlet line burst at the nipple coming off of the Tri-Pac, on the outside of the unit. I pulled the thermostat and found the gasket was a mess and replaced, along with a new thermostat... I think the problem is fixed, I ran new lines between the ISX and the Tri-Pac. I was thinking back to when my head went, just prior to the in frame. She was building quite a bit of pressure in those lines, hell, all of my coolant lines. The one at the Tri-Pac was very very soft, and I think she just had enough. Still seems odd though, as it was only soft right there at the Tri-Pac, the rest of the line was fine. In fact I saved them for an emergency, they are still very usable... So far so good, she is running good now, burped the motor and hopefully got all of the air out of both systems. We shall see. Need to get an Airlift system to vacuum down the coolant system. Next tool on my list.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.