bad oil cooler
04-23-2017, (Subject: bad oil cooler ) 
bad oil cooler
have cm870 and noticed drop if my oil pan for around 1gal on short 140miles run. Added a galon of oil and made another 60miles. Discovered my oil went into coolant reservoir and started to overflow through overflow cap. Removed both hoses from reservoir ,one is from radiator ,one from coolant housing and it drips still red coolant. Have reservoir fool of oil mash. Made a 30miles trip to the dealer . Have a 500miles home and empty trailer. Should I change oil cooler at the dealer or try to get it home and fix it there? Any advices? I completely understand that all situations are different though with same issue made 1000miles with 45k but as a company driver. :)

truck runs, no overheating but noticed oil pressure up around 2psi

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: bad oil cooler
I ran mine for a week with oil in the coolant, just kept a eye to make sure it wasn't overheating or anything. Mine may not have been as bad as yours though.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ktbtrucking
It's not that hard of a job. I had to pull my oil filter header 3 times chasing a coolant leak. I could do an oil cooler in a day barring complications. Basic hand tools with a half inch torque wrench can do it in 2 days going slow and drinking beer. I'm guessing $600 in labor in a shop.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , hhow55 , ktbtrucking
04-24-2017, (Subject: bad oil cooler ) 
(04-23-2017 )ktbtrucking Wrote:  have cm870 and noticed drop if my oil pan for around 1gal on short 140miles run. Added a galon of oil and made another 60miles. Discovered my oil went into coolant reservoir and started to overflow through overflow cap. Removed both hoses from reservoir ,one is from radiator ,one from coolant housing and it drips still red coolant. Have reservoir fool of oil mash. Made a 30miles trip to the dealer . Have a 500miles home and empty trailer. Should I change oil cooler at the dealer or try to get it home and fix it there? Any advices? I completely understand that all situations are different though with same issue made 1000miles with 45k but as a company driver. :)

truck runs, no overheating but noticed oil pressure up around 2psi

Every time you stop, you need to relieve pressure for the coolant system with it leaking like that. Otherwise, the residual coolant pressure will push coolant back into your oil and can wipe out crank bearings in a hurry.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ktbtrucking , fargonaz , Toolguy
Made it to the yard where I park the truck. It was a long 500 miles for me. Removed some components with help of the friends. Could someone give me a hand what components to remove next. Have engine registered on quickserve but it says how to remove particular components not the whole procedure from the begining to the end. Thank you in advance. Poor quality photos have not noticed it due it was late.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz
I'll pm you my number. I just had to do this a couple weeks ago.
replyreply
Here is the end result of what your engine will look like once you get the oil filter header off. I had to get the egr cooler off, then the water pump inlet/filter housing off to get the required clearance to remove the oil filter header plate off which also houses the oil cooler.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: ktbtrucking , fargonaz
04-25-2017, (Subject: bad oil cooler ) 
have cm 870, removed all parts today, there was no access/ or limited access to top screws of egr cooler so had to remove exhaust manifold to remove egr cooler
put most of screws into diesel overnight was thinking about oil (give advices for next repair)
have most of parts for reassembly tomorrow
will do some more pictures so it might be helpful for others

will use anti-seize compound on exhaust manifold and turbo-manifold screws
please let me know if you have any thoughts regarding assembly

replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz
04-26-2017, (Subject: bad oil cooler ) 
(04-25-2017 )ktbtrucking Wrote:  have cm 870, removed all parts today, there was no access/ or limited access to top screws of egr cooler so had to remove exhaust manifold to remove egr cooler
put most of screws into diesel overnight was thinking about oil (give advices for next repair)
have most of parts for reassembly tomorrow
will do some more pictures so it might be helpful for others

will use anti-seize compound on exhaust manifold and turbo-manifold screws
please let me know if you have any thoughts regarding assembly

Just a few things to keep in mind. If I were doing this job I would ...

* New bolts for the exhaust manifold if they are old.

* New coolant pipe bushings for the EGR cooler. They should come with new o-rings installed.

* Polish the inside of the EGR cooler pipes and the feed tubes where the egr cooler bushings go to help reduce possibility of a leak.

* Follow torquing procedures and pattern for oil cooler and for egr cooler.

* Take your time.

* Too much anti-sieze on the exhaust manifold bolts is not the best idea. Only use a very tiny amount.

* Polish and re-paint the exhaust bolt bushings with some hi-temp paint and let them dry before re-installing them.

* A light coating of Anti-sieze on all coolant o-rings, gaskets, and banjo fittings.

* Use a torque-wrench for all bolts including any pipe and/or banjo fittings.

* 75 ft-lbs torque on turbo mounting bolts instead of what the book says.

* Don't forget to re-calibrate turbo if the actuator on top was removed from it.

Like I said. Just some considerations on how I would do things. I don't like doing a job twice.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ktbtrucking , axe , Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.