ECM replacement advice
04-23-2017, (Subject: ECM replacement advice ) 
ECM replacement advice
I have an 1999 n14 that has had a hicup or dies and will restart immediately when cold this has gotten worse over about 4 years I have had it hooked up to the diagnostic computers at the dealer and they saw nothing wrong so we changed out many parts looking for the problem, the consensus was that the ECM either works or it does not they were wrong,Yesterday I browwed an ECM from a friend and no problem,So this brings me to the question I need an ECM and it just needs to be stock and dependable, Rating is 460 and 1650

Mid west ECM for 1200$ has been around awhile and is the most expensive they get cheaper from there down to about 400$ any recommendations or places to avoid
replyreply
RE: ECM replacement advice
There was a post here not long ago regarding something similar... I know you have been to the dealer and hooked up your friends ECM... Have you tried simply replacing the ECM in-line fuse with a new one? Sounds silly, but 9 times out of 10 it is honestly something as simple as that. Even if a fuse is not blown, they can still fail, God knows if you own a ProStar that is a regular occurrence. It is cheap and easy...
replyreply
I've seen a few of the n14s with a bad harness right where it plugs into the ecm. I just re pinned one a month or so ago.
replyreply
Waterloo

I am sad to tell you how much I replaced before borrowing the ECM with yes the same PN #

The fuse was replaced the engine wiring harness the Jake harness were replaced and Jake tune up witch I probably needed doing anyway,I checked resistance on every wire I could find both ends of and checked voltage on the ECM wires, replaced the throttle position sensor and that cured a wide open throttle stumble then I replaced the TPC wiring harness the shut off solenoid was replaced I did find the wire to the solenoid was down to 3 strands of wire on the factory connector, the cam sensor was replaced twice once by each of the 2 different dealers that tried to find the problem, the alternator was replaced all grounds were removed cleaned and checked for resistance as was all positive wires. All this was done mostly over the last 6 months although I started poking around years ago but the hiccup finally got bad enough and often enough that I could count of it doing it at start up when cold. I did most of this myself the 2 trips to mechanics were a year apart one just did the cam sensor the other did the Jake tune up and harness and cam sensor.
I am so looking forward to my new trucks and dealing with wiring and mandate issues of the modern high tech engines,Im in Calif and will have to replace all trucks with 2010 or newer in the next two years I have decided to go new as I have heard to many horror stories on the used trucks.
replyreply
(04-23-2017 )arch_stanton Wrote:  Waterloo

I am sad to tell you how much I replaced before borrowing the ECM with yes the same PN #

The fuse was replaced the engine wiring harness the Jake harness were replaced and Jake tune up witch I probably needed doing anyway,I checked resistance on every wire I could find both ends of and checked voltage on the ECM wires, replaced the throttle position sensor and that cured a wide open throttle stumble then I replaced the TPC wiring harness the shut off solenoid was replaced I did find the wire to the solenoid was down to 3 strands of wire on the factory connector, the cam sensor was replaced twice once by each of the 2 different dealers that tried to find the problem, the alternator was replaced all grounds were removed cleaned and checked for resistance as was all positive wires. All this was done mostly over the last 6 months although I started poking around years ago but the hiccup finally got bad enough and often enough that I could count of it doing it at start up when cold. I did most of this myself the 2 trips to mechanics were a year apart one just did the cam sensor the other did the Jake tune up and harness and cam sensor.
I am so looking forward to my new trucks and dealing with wiring and mandate issues of the modern high tech engines,Im in Calif and will have to replace all trucks with 2010 or newer in the next two years I have decided to go new as I have heard to many horror stories on the used trucks.

I hear ya... If I did not like payments, I would buy another new one and have it immediately FIXED and drive off into the sunset... I have a bit of debt, which this current truck has exacerbated... I'm down again in my driveway, stupid shi#t... But, paying $3000 a month for a truck is out of the question with the insurance and all. I'll keep bitching and fixing...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
Hears how I look at the payment on a new truck, the cost of down time both in revenue and unplanned repair cost out weight the payment considering the stories of spending 30K plus and still not have a truck that is not dependable and you get no return on repair cost when selling as the next buyer expects it to run,If I have to sell a newer truck because of no work it will still have good equity as we only run about 50k miles a year
replyreply
04-24-2017, (Subject: ECM replacement advice ) 
(04-23-2017 )arch_stanton Wrote:  Mid west ECM for 1200$ has been around awhile and is the most expensive they get cheaper from there down to about 400$ any recommendations or places to avoid

I have an ecm from an 01' M-11 sitting on the shelf you can have for the shipping costs if you wanna give it a try.
I had a 96' N-14 that I did this to and it ran good enough to get to the dealer and have the correct programming flashed to it. Of course if you don't mind a "lopey" idle and touchy accelerator just swap and run it ;-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: arch_stanton
04-24-2017, (Subject: ECM replacement advice ) 
(04-24-2017 )schISM Wrote:  
(04-23-2017 )arch_stanton Wrote:  Mid west ECM for 1200$ has been around awhile and is the most expensive they get cheaper from there down to about 400$ any recommendations or places to avoid

I have an ecm from an 01' M-11 sitting on the shelf you can have for the shipping costs if you wanna give it a try.
I had a 96' N-14 that I did this to and it ran good enough to get to the dealer and have the correct programming flashed to it. Of course if you don't mind a "lopey" idle and touchy accelerator just swap and run it ;-)

Thanks Schism

I already have a ECM off a M11 but it's a 94 and they said I could not flash to the correct program but I would like to give yours a try what is the PN # and I will check to make sure it can be programed
replyreply
04-25-2017, (Subject: ECM replacement advice ) 
(04-24-2017 )arch_stanton Wrote:  
(04-24-2017 )schISM Wrote:  

Thanks Schism

I already have a ECM off a M11 but it's a 94 and they said I could not flash to the correct program but I would like to give yours a try what is the PN # and I will check to make sure it can be programed

I'll look it up tonight when I get home and post it.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.