I found the Ambient Air Temp Sensor! 2008 ProStar...
04-26-2017, (Subject: I found the Ambient Air Temp Sensor! 2008 ProStar... ) 
I found the Ambient Air Temp Sensor! 2008 ProStar...
Like the title says, I found that damn sensor! I have been half heartedly looking for it for a few years... My Pete's and KW's it was dangling off of the mirror support, where they all should be.

I called the dealer, he said it was in my mirror, I took the mirror apart, not there.

I called him back, got the part number and looked it up to see what the hell I was supposed to find... Here is the part number... 3561562C1 Plenty of photos on the internet...

Well, I found it wrapped in electrical tape, off the harness that runs from the driver side to the passenger side, the one that powers your headlamps... It was directly under the radiator, wrapped in electrical tape stuffed up by the driver side hood hinge... And it was WRAPPED. Looks like it came from the factory like that, the yellow tape gave that away. I never would have found it other than the rectangular bulge under the tape. None of it was even exposed, I had to gently dig it out with a utility knife and fresh blade... I thought I was back in surgery, because that is what it took to dig it out.

When it is 30 degrees out, once the truck warms up it reads 41*. Summer time, 70* it reads 100*... From my understanding this is tied into the engine ECM in regards to fueling and what not... Well, I pulled that sensor out, broke out my painless wiring plugs, and moved the damn thing up to the windshield cowl right next to the drivers door... It has a metal clip on it, so it easily secured to the cowl.

I also went and finished the job I screwed up on the cans, still kicking myself! I busted that crap out with a drill and hammer, then power washed the insulation out of them and reinstalled.

Talk about a night and day difference! Just took her for a test drive. Little if any smoke at startup, ran incredibly smooth. Well, she already ran smooth, she just sounded a tad bit better. Was it the cans, probably, but I feel good about moving that sensor out from under the radiator. That could not have been a good thing. International is now placing them in the mirrors... I wonder why?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: marek4792 , barf , Toolguy
RE: I found the Ambient Air Temp Sensor! 2008 ProStar...
I notice on almost every truck including my Volvo has them on the front a Cascadia I drove had two of them right next to each other, I wonder if this would cure rough idle and surge I have had even after putting new injectors and actuators in. On insite mine seems to be stuck at 72°F but I'm not sure if it's part of the mandate d€l3t or not?
replyreply
Honestly, after talking to a good friend of mine, that is a mechanic, and now a salesman for International, I would move the sensor. There was a noticeable difference in my truck, but I did several things, no programing, but stuff. In hindsight, the one major thing I did, was moved that sensor. I cannot believe the other thing I did with the cans made that much of a difference... The truck runs much better as of now. Granted, I only drove 8 miles round trip to get some Camels and some beer... But this was not the same truck I pulled into the driveway last week.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: marek4792 , Toolguy
Do you have pictures of where you placed the sensor just to get a rough idea where to put it I also wonder if you can get the same benefit by moving it from front and center to off to the side in the bumper away from the engine
replyreply
I rewired the thing, called my buddy up at International who is now a salesman... He hessitently said move it. The sensor has a metal clip on it to attach to a 1/8 inch thick, or less flat surface. I stuck mine up right where the hood meets the door, on the cowl where the windshield wipers go. My cowl is kind of busted up from the previous owner, but it still attached none the less. The probe, sensor, is pointed straight up, 12 o'clock position. It is reading normal temps according to my iPhone.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
Let me dumb this up a bit....

Are you saying the outside air temp sensor.... the one that shows on your dash how hot it is outside, is also tied into how the engine runs?

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
On the prostar...yes. Cummins reads the oem temp sensor to get the ambient temperature for all its calculations. Mine in the summertime would hit 146 F in traffic. And the truck would be a dog.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , Waterloo
Wow crazy. I didn't realize.. .

So Waterloo, did you just splice the wire where the original sensor was and run new wires all the way back and up to your mirror or did you trace the wire back to the firewall and tap in there?

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
Brock, YEP! One wire of two had black electrical tape on it, I spliced in down at the bumper, using weatherproof connectors https://amzn.to/2VbLCKH and ran it up to the cowl... The truck is night and day, at least going up to the the corner for beer and Camels. On a day like this, it would be reading around 90 to 100 degrees F... It was 81, and that is what the dash board showed. A first, and the truck was purring. No clue, just saying, something happened, and it was GOOD.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , Doublecoin , Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.