waiting on an inframe...poop.
04-27-2017, (Subject: waiting on an inframe...poop. ) 
waiting on an inframe...poop.
...So in February I go home to run an overhead.

Find the #5 cylinder eating a cam lobe. Disappointing, since I've kept oil changed on a regular basis, run a filter mag and a bypass filter, and it still happened. Understandable, since in the last 15k my oil consumption has gone up, mileage down and I started making soot like crazy. My guess is it's carbon packing.

I'm in a company loaner right now (prostar with a maxxfarce) and have been talking with Jerry and friends about getting an inframe. Company bailed on the help with financing (big shock there) and want me to buy a new truck with a paccar (NO!). Mines almost paid off. Finally got some financing sorted out. This happened at a bad time.

So while it's apart, I figured I would go help with the inframe so I can learn more about the isx's guts and also wanted to have the oil pump shimmed and liners set at .014". Also want to sort out the ECM a bit. Leads me to a couple questions.

Anyone on here use a stainless EGR cooler on their ISX? I'm concerned about dissimilar metals possibly causing a cracking issue, I just want it bulletproof (as much as possible)as far as leaks go. If the ECM is reprogrammed, making temps no longer an issue, can one of these be run safely?

Are there any other things I should be considering for the ISX while it's being inframed, for reliability?

Any concerns with using a 100% aluminum Tig welded radiator? I considered electrolysis, so I'd need to ground the radiator well. I already have stainless tubes.

I'll most likely be able to do just the longblock for now since I'll be paying for this myself.

I swear my truck could have been marketed as a 'build as you go truck kit', lol
replyreply
RE: waiting on an inframe...poop.
Well. If the egr is still functioning you need to go back with oem which to the best of my knowledge is stainless steel anyways. If the mandate is being removed then go with the best built for the money as the egr won't matter anymore. Just my thoughts on it.
replyreply
The ECM will be getting some love too. I was under the impression the stock cooler was mild steel?
replyreply
Good to hear you're talking to Jerry and friends. I wish I had. In January I did a re-build at the local IH stealership. I'm very worried as it's already blowing black smoke on startup. I should have bobtailed to GA but sounded like Jerry was too busy in January anyways. Weather is starting to get nice up north so time for me to play backyard mechanic.
replyreply
EGR cooler ..

If you de-mandate it then it won't matter. If you expect it to work, then OEM ONLY!

Welded radiators have same issues as any others. Stress, torsion, and worn out bushings is what gets them, not pressure. Make sure all bushings are new, bolts torqued properly, and no twisting or undue stress happens as it is pulled tight. I have seen a few radiators installed where you had to grind on few holes to relieve any stress as it was installed because the bolts did not align up perfectly. Worn bushings and mounts make them have a short life too.

Follow Jerry's recommendations for other things. He won't steer you wrong. No need to go crazy on it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
04-28-2017, (Subject: waiting on an inframe...poop. ) 
I will be. I told them today what my 'vision' was, and if they had a better way to get there, then I'm all ears. I will argue with alot, but not the voice of reason.

And I have the feeling you already know I tend to think things over. Alot. I'm the guy who drilled a hole through my header bolts on an engine I built and laced them up with stainless wire when they wouldn't stop coming loose. Once I locked myself out of my barracks room and broke in with a broom and a pair of toenail clippers. That guy.
replyreply
06-22-2017, (Subject: waiting on an inframe...poop. ) 
So, after waiting since March for an inframe, then a recon engine, then going back and forth with my company, they finally drop the ball. I'm on my own for an engine.

I'm so aggravated I should probably keep certain comments to myself

I'm thinking I might go ahead and swap the valve cam, inspect and/or replace the cam bearings, inspect and replace the rockers, inspect/shim the oil pump and set the overhead myself. I'm a pretty mechanically oriented guy. I just hope I can get enough life out of it to pay to inframe it eventually since I won't be getting any help like I was promised.

Fortunately I caught the cam failure early and I was running both a bypass filter and a filter mag to catch the metal.

Driving a loaner truck through TX without a/c this time of year sucks!

Any thoughts?

*Grumbles*
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.