Wide base steer tires psi?
04-29-2017, (Subject: Wide base steer tires psi? ) 
Wide base steer tires psi?
Never ran wide tires but the truck I just bought has 385/65/22.5 on it.

I know some of you run these things. What have you found to be a good pressure to run? 50/50 on off road. Fuel mileage isn't the goal here, this is what I'm working with and the tires going on....

./uploads/201704/post_1367_1493494624_938db81fdcde4cd4febbff2c970e05d4.jpg

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
RE: Wide base steer tires psi?
When I had wide base tires I ran 120 in them but I was 99% highway driving. Anything less caused the edges to wear faster than the center of the tread. I think I would play with it till I found a happy median as different tires have different degrees of stiffness in the sidewall flex. No two brands are the same.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
That's a really nice looking truck. Drove one just like it moving drilling rigs. Thinking we ran them 100-105. In ND so 50/50 or so on/off rd
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Brock
we ran all ours at 110. even with perfect alignment and tire maintenance they will start to wear funny and prematurely. them's the ropes with those big rubber - we even ran a few trucks with 445's up front.

you need to set the toe in to 1/8 inch on those big boys as they fly out at highway speeds about that much and give you a nice straight ride! btw that is a very nice unit!
replyreply
Thumbs Up Wide base steer tires psi?
(04-29-2017 )Rockycoon75 Wrote:  That's a really nice looking truck. Drove one just like it moving drilling rigs. Thinking we ran them 100-105. In ND so 50/50 or so on/off rd

Turner Gas, out of Fairfield Montana... Blue and White bottles hauling propane, butane and Y-Grade... Spent nearly 4 years up there.
replyreply
Sweet rig Brock!
replyreply
I have ran 425 steers for 6 years now on my current truck. Highway mostly, I run 95psi as reccomended by the manufacturer for the weight I am carrying on the axle. It seems to give me the best wear and ride. Mine usually go about twice as many miles as the guys around here that insist on running max pressure (120psi) regardless of weight.
See what you weigh on the steer loaded and empty then look on the manufactures' website for the inflation and load table. Hope that helps.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
04-30-2017, (Subject: Wide base steer tires psi? ) 
Around here we run 385 on our dumps trucks. Mostly highway miles other then the quarry's and job sites and after 5 years of altering pressure I've been having the best luck with 125 cold on a 130 max cold tire. It has cut down on outer edge wear significantly. In the past at anything below 125 I would have to constantly flip on rim and rotate from side to side every 10k or so just to get 50k out of a $700 tire. At 125 i see 80 thousand now and much less maintenance to get it... Our tred is not as aggressive as yours though
replyreply
04-30-2017, (Subject: Wide base steer tires psi? ) 
(04-29-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(04-29-2017 )Rockycoon75 Wrote:  That's a really nice looking truck. Drove one just like it moving drilling rigs. Thinking we ran them 100-105. In ND so 50/50 or so on/off rd

Turner Gas, onout of Fairfield Montana... Blue and White bottles hauling propane, butane and Y-Grade... Spent nearly 4 years up there.

Black Gold and Childers Trucking
We lived in Williston but worked all over the area. Started in winch truck was running poles and bed went everything started stacking out. Miss the heavy iron. Lots of fun
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.