The Economics of Aftermarket parts...
05-06-2017, (Subject: The Economics of Aftermarket parts... ) 
The Economics of Aftermarket parts...
How could it ever be economically possible aftermarket parts ever match the quality/value of their OEM counterparts?

Factory lines mass produce in a cost efficient way that can't be beat.
OEM's engine replacement parts are designed and produced the same as for new trucks... under warranty for 5 years with a fleet and drivers abusing it.

So why do people think a none-OEM part could be better for the same money or same quality for less money?!

Yes, an OEM dealer's can-and-will jack up part prices...
But so do aftermarket parts dealers.

A sales-guy wants to buy-low and sell-high.
With an OEM part, you know what you're getting.
With aftermarket, its easy to lie about it's cost and it's worth. And why wouldn't they?

If you want quality OEM parts at a good price, why not buy them ahead of time?
Call one dealer, get a quote, call another, bid him 5 bucks less, rinse and repeat. Then ship it home.
Instead of buying it where ever the trucks breaks down?

And it's not like you need to have a second engine, all parts individually in boxes with recites under your bunk, just the important stuff.

In posts saying "what about an [insert name] aftermarket replacement/upgrade"...
...I'd like to know the theory of how the item could realistically have behind it better
research, development, manufacturing efficiency, quality control AND price than the OEM.

Honestly, if an OEM is that bad at producing their parts, why would you buy an engine or truck from them?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Roysbigtoys , Waterloo
RE: The Economics of Aftermarket parts...
Overhaul kit OEM, yes
Cylinder head OEM, yes

OEM headlight assembly $600, no
Aftermarket headlight assembly $250, yes
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RTRUCKING48 , hhow55 , axe , Waterloo , JMBT
(05-06-2017 )Kid Rock Wrote:  Overhaul kit OEM, yes
Cylinder head OEM, yes

OEM headlight assembly $600, no
Aftermarket headlight assembly $250, yes

My thoughts precisely.
Critical Component: OEM
Generic Component: Best price for value

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Waterloo , JMBT
05-07-2017, (Subject: The Economics of Aftermarket parts... ) 
The issue isn't the oem original. It's the reman. Just why most go with the new oem head and not reman. I've never seen a reman isx pistons or liners. But with caterpillar, reman is garbage. I've used IPD liners and pistons on quite a few Cats, I just substitute a new cat head gasket instead of aftermarket(100 bux on a c15). Cummins seems good as long as you go brand new on head. Cat, not soo much...

Can't speak for Detroit
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , axe

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.