WHISTLE TYPE NOISE ON AN 871 ENGINE
03-12-2016, (Subject: WHISTLE TYPE NOISE ON AN 871 ENGINE ) 
WHISTLE TYPE NOISE ON AN 871 ENGINE
Hello fellows, i just got this 09 prostar in december 2015 so I'm kind of new with this isx 871 cummins 670K mileage, I'm getting this noise on the driver side kinda like a whistle some times like the turbo noise specially when claiming a hill and It also smokes white blueish smoke while doing this, and when I finish claiming the hill and if I try to engage my engine brake the engine brake makes like a rattle noise by the turbo not loud but I can tell its not normal my shop check the VGT and the turbo they did the recalibration and everything was good I also change the air to air charger because it was leaking and all of the hoses and clamps, lately I notice I been loosing little bit of power and its doing it more i already performed the Egr Tune up 2 months ago and took the Egr valve off to clean it was not the original red color now its all green it seems that it was replaced already it started doing all this like 2 weeks ago so I need a little help here maybe some of you have the same issues before similar to mine and I would like to know what it's wrong with it,you guys think it may be the Egr valve it's going bad not opening or closing?? I'm in the process of getting my insite, so far I haven't have any engine warning lights or codes, thanks in advance..
replyreply
RE: WHISTLE TYPE NOISE ON AN 871 ENGINE
(03-12-2016 )RTRUCKING48 Wrote:  Hello fellows, i just got this 09 prostar in december 2015 so I'm kind of new with this isx 871 cummins 670K mileage, I'm getting this noise on the driver side kinda like a whistle some times like the turbo noise specially when claiming a hill and It also smokes white blueish smoke while doing this, and when I finish claiming the hill and if I try to engage my engine brake the engine brake makes like a rattle noise by the turbo not loud but I can tell its not normal my shop check the VGT and the turbo they did the recalibration and everything was good I also change the air to air charger because it was leaking and all of the hoses and clamps, lately I notice I been loosing little bit of power and its doing it more i already performed the Egr Tune up 2 months ago and took the Egr valve off to clean it was not the original red color now its all green it seems that it was replaced already it started doing all this like 2 weeks ago so I need a little help here maybe some of you have the same issues before similar to mine and I would like to know what it's wrong with it,you guys think it may be the Egr valve it's going bad not opening or closing?? I'm in the process of getting my insite, so far I haven't have any engine warning lights or codes, thanks in advance..
I have dealing with two whistling 871.
One was whistling from loose clamp on rubber hose from intake minifold to air compressor intake.
Second was whistling from loose clamp on venturi to EGR hose.
Rawze has video how to check intake/exhaust systems by installing plugs http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/X0sAAOSwYa...-l1600.jpg
replyreply
Ok thanks i will check on that and I'm going to test the system with those plugs and see where it's coming from
replyreply
One pipe everyone is overlooking, Pipe that goes from EGR cooler behind the block and into the EGR valve body . It's silicone hose and it's known to leak under heavy pulls, very hard to find this leak because its not easily accessible . I just went through this on one of my trucks . I spent all day trying to find the problem , wish I had a dyno this would have been a lot easier to spot then :)
replyreply
03-13-2016, (Subject: WHISTLE TYPE NOISE ON AN 871 ENGINE ) 
(03-12-2016 )DRISX Wrote:  One pipe everyone is overlooking, Pipe that goes from EGR cooler behind the block and into the EGR valve body . It's silicone hose and it's known to leak under heavy pulls, very hard to find this leak because its not easily accessible . I just went through this on one of my trucks . I spent all day trying to find the problem , wish I had a dyno this would have been a lot easier to spot then :)
Yes I was trying to get to that hose yesterday when I was done with my load and let me tell you it is very hard to get to it specially that this truck have the side fairings that makes it little more difficult but I will get in there tomorrow I'm thinking it is going to be that hose hopefully thanks for your info
replyreply
03-14-2016, (Subject: WHISTLE TYPE NOISE ON AN 871 ENGINE ) 
One more place could whistle is rubber seal around EGR valve with EgR valve housing connection. PITA to check.
replyreply
(03-14-2016 )snailexpress Wrote:  One more place could whistle is rubber seal around EGR valve with EgR valve housing connection. PITA to check.
Ill check it tomorrow while I'm working my way in to the hose on the back of the block too thanks.
replyreply
Look for darkened or sooty areas around the engine and the EGR/exhaust piping.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
03-17-2016, (Subject: WHISTLE TYPE NOISE ON AN 871 ENGINE ) 
(03-14-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  Look for darkened or sooty areas around the engine and the EGR/exhaust piping.
I found the problem the hose that connects the pipe that comes out from the Egr valve to the pipe with the tubes for the delta p sensor was loose the clamp was bad, but I also found another problem I opened the valve cover and the injector cam with all of the rockers rollers are bad, I checked the valves cam and rollers and that side it's good, so I was like damnnn! I fix one thing and discover another lol but hey I guess that's what it is so i have to replaced all of those components./uploads/201603/post_1707_1458188385_5d52419755dddb3cf1a4b9ab17e5c854.jpg
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.