Doc face plug alarm
05-07-2017, (Subject: Doc face plug alarm ) 
Doc face plug alarm
Hey guys Im new to this forum I have the cm871 cummins and I keep geting the face plug alarm at least twice a week, I had the doc replace in may of 2016 and both filter and doc clean last month along with a erg tune. When cummins clean the filter and tested it they said it check out but it was on its last leg which that's hard to believe with only 270,000 thousand miles on the filter and clean twice. My local shop did a injector test, a smoke test also a force regen and it raise to temp in a good time frame. My fuel mileage is low also in the 5s range any suggestions will be appreciated.
replyreply
RE: Doc face plug alarm
(05-07-2017 )Hendog83 Wrote:  Hey guys Im new to this forum I have the cm871 cummins and I keep geting the face plug alarm at least twice a week, I had the doc replace in may of 2016 and both filter and doc clean last month along with a erg tune. When cummins clean the filter and tested it they said it check out but it was on its last leg which that's hard to believe with only 270,000 thousand miles on the filter and clean twice. My local shop did a injector test, a smoke test also a force regen and it raise to temp in a good time frame. My fuel mileage is low also in the 5s range any suggestions will be appreciated.

Are you having to add coolant?
Coolant intrusion can certainly cause a problem.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
No I don't have to add coolant it don't burn any oil which I change every ten thousand miles and all sensors ( imap, delta p, delta p tubes , pressure sensor on can, exhaust pressure, egr valve, egr temp) are right a year old. The doc face plug alarm comes in go when it's not giving a alarm truck will regen but seems too frequently and also looses power during regen.
replyreply
05-08-2017, (Subject: Doc face plug alarm ) 
IMAP is an item we recommend changing every 6 months. I have a friend who has to replace his about every 5 months as his soots up bad enough to throw a imap code every 4-5 months. My truck supposedly had "new" cans on it when I purchased it. Either my engine plugged them inside a month or they were not new. I personally would not waste the time or money having one cleaned. I would either buy a brand new filter from Cummins or get with one of the demandate gurus on here and fix that problem permanently.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(05-07-2017 )Hendog83 Wrote:  No I don't have to add coolant it don't burn any oil which I change every ten thousand miles and all sensors ( imap, delta p, delta p tubes , pressure sensor on can, exhaust pressure, egr valve, egr temp) are right a year old. The doc face plug alarm comes in go when it's not giving a alarm truck will regen but seems too frequently and also looses power during regen.

Stop fighting the inevitable. those 871's are the most crybaby engine of all when they get some age on em.

PM rawze your number and make plans for a trip to atlanta. I did 2 year ago and running since.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: in2trux , Waterloo
When was the last time you replaced or cleaned the Doser? Replacing the doser cured my face plug codes until we found the final solution.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Rawze
05-09-2017, (Subject: Doc face plug alarm ) 
My doser is about 4 months old also new temp sensors on the can
replyreply
05-10-2017, (Subject: Doc face plug alarm ) 
The EGr tune-up is a great thing to keep the system healthy, but at some point all the tune-up work in the world will not help when it gets old enough. As these engine age, it becomes more and more difficult to make those cans happy no matter what you do. - Most will resort to a trip to Mr.Hag, Unilevers, and/or gearghead and M-M-2 it instead doing an inframe or replacing expensive parts over and over just to try to make the cans happy. I don't blame them, as the engine maker leave truck owners with no other choice. It may be that you at this point in the engines life, who knows for sure.

With the fuel mileage low, it is likely making a lot of soot. find out why your fuel mileage is low and you will likely find out why it is unhappy all the time.

make sure the engine has the right program it it from the factory and not one with an altered HP setting. Sometimes it is simply that someone has put a different program in it and it is no longer correct.
reference: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
05-18-2017, (Subject: Doc face plug alarm ) 
I took it to a dealer back in March to see if my engine had the latest ecm update in it was updated from AV10231.10 to 10231.12 is this the latest update if not what is it
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.