Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week...
05-11-2016, (Subject: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... ) 
RE: In-Frame is COMPLETE!
(05-10-2016 )ahm700 Wrote:  I haven't priced one in awhile but can't you get a cummins reman for around 25k with a 3 year 300000 mile warranty?

Last year when I priced a reman, it was $28,000... This year, the CM-871 is now $36,000.00 plus install AND a core deposit of $7000.00. I about fell over.
replyreply
RE: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week...
(05-11-2016 )ahm700 Wrote:  
(05-10-2016 )bazdan902 Wrote:  
(05-10-2016 )ahm700 Wrote:  I haven't priced one in awhile but can't you get a cummins reman for around 25k with a 3 year 300000 mile warranty?

Prices on everything went up a few months ago.. This time last year I paid 33,900CAD....I believe they were 28k in the States at the same time. This price is AFTER you bring in the core and wait a couple weeks for Cummins to send you a cheque. I needed 58k up front... So whatever you do don't ever destroy your block loll you will pay dearly for it

I think I will start buying some tools and parts over the next couple years and do it myself. I don't think I like my truck that much.

Waterloo Wrote:That would be a good idea... Because these prices are just going to go up from here. The actual bill if the shop would have charged me the full monty was roughly $53,000.00. They shaved allot off, and rebates, along with only charging me 40 some hours in labor. The invoice is a 1/4 inch thick. And I still have $600 hanging out there with Cummins for the Turbo core, the parts man could not figure out what it was, as there were no markings on it. Aftermarket rebuilt Holset unit...

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I don't know what my opinion is worth to you but I think you've gone about this project in the best possible way. You always seemed to ask for a second opinion where possible, you got a lot of things fixed/looked at while the truck was off the road to save breakdowns, you de-mandated it while the build was fresh, you did a heap of research, etc. Taking a big financial hit should work out better than spending even more but in smaller amounts over time. Good luck with it!
replyreply
(05-11-2016 )Signature620 Wrote:  I don't know what my opinion is worth to you but I think you've gone about this project in the best possible way. You always seemed to ask for a second opinion where possible, you got a lot of things fixed/looked at while the truck was off the road to save breakdowns, you de-mandated it while the build was fresh, you did a heap of research, etc. Taking a big financial hit should work out better than spending even more but in smaller amounts over time. Good luck with it!

I'll tell you, it was one hell of a learning experience, and yes I do respect your opinion. Sig, I am clueless on much of this stuff compared to many of the men on here. I am just glad I have you all as a source of reference and for the years of knowledge you all pack and are willing to share. You guys made this much easier!

And yes, we went through everything, even nuts and bolts. I was at the shop often, watching and asking questions, going over the piles of parts on benches and the floor. They were really great guys up there, despite the couple of setbacks. The mechanic, Jaime, was top notch, and was willing to spend time with me and go over the work as it went along and the parts list grew.

The parts were something to see, which I am glad they let me in and get my hands dirty with. If I saw something that looked suspect we replaced it. I was not so much worried about any budgets, but what I would run into a month or six months from now. Getting towed for say an old transmission cooler line was not something I wanted in my near future, so let's fix it now.

Knock on wood, all will be good and the truck will give me many miles of motoring pleasure. ;-)

Again, another big thanks to everyone here!
replyreply
Glad to hear you got it going.
I'm in the final stages on mine, the bill is around 25,000.00. I helped some but most of it was beyond my ability so I payed for most of the labor.
The spun injector cam bearing made quite a mess. I should be back up by tomorrow I hope. Thanks for the updates.
replyreply
Yeah It gives the rest of us a little time to think about and plan ahead.
replyreply
(05-11-2016 )dbl overdrive Wrote:  Glad to hear you got it going.
I'm in the final stages on mine, the bill is around 25,000.00. I helped some but most of it was beyond my ability so I payed for most of the labor.
The spun injector cam bearing made quite a mess. I should be back up by tomorrow I hope. Thanks for the updates.

Good deal! And no fun in the least. I hope she comes together and is healthy for many years to come!
replyreply
(05-11-2016 )ahm700 Wrote:  Yeah It gives the rest of us a little time to think about and plan ahead.

If you plan on keeping the truck for any amount of time, and she is currently healthy, start buying the parts now. A little here, and a little there... That was my plan when I bought mine, but it damn near broke me just to keep it running for more than a week or two at a time... What a nightmare this has been.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.