Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week...
03-27-2016, (Subject: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... ) 
RE: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week...
(03-26-2016 )yamajason Wrote:  I dont have much faith in a Cummins Warranty...the shop in another state might look at your programming or hardware and void the warranty. There are some good small shop mechanics on this forum that would be my first choice.

I second this, I also was comforted by this notion when I first bought the reman but outside of that shop your having the motor put together I wouldn't expect much warranty coverage.

I've had mine in for some leaky fuel actuators and things like that but anything that would need any kind of diagnostics usually starts with or includes something related to the emissions system. There are guys with stock trucks that have a hard time getting warranty to pay..

I wouldn't waste my money on extended warranty coverage unless perhaps your route is within a reasonable distance at all times to this shop that is telling you they will warranty their work. Not to mention there is a lot of stuff warranty will not cover anyways, that money is better left in your pocket IMO.

Also these prices you guys are throwing around really scare me, Canada was getting screwed on these parts before so I can only imagine what they look like now if they are jacking up the US prices.
replyreply
(03-26-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  I got a quote from Cummins here on the actuators, $460 and they are genuine mex remans.

I should have bought mine this past December, they were that $340 or so ea... Now, $465... Like that reman motor, and they remembered giving me the quote, from $28,000 to $36,000 in a matter of months. Same motor, a stock item... A buddy of mine said they had a brand new CM 2250 for $20,000 up at his local dealer...
replyreply
(03-27-2016 )bazdan902 Wrote:  
(03-26-2016 )yamajason Wrote:  I dont have much faith in a Cummins Warranty...the shop in another state might look at your programming or hardware and void the warranty. There are some good small shop mechanics on this forum that would be my first choice.

I second this, I also was comforted by this notion when I first bought the reman but outside of that shop your having the motor put together I wouldn't expect much warranty coverage.

I've had mine in for some leaky fuel actuators and things like that but anything that would need any kind of diagnostics usually starts with or includes something related to the emissions system. There are guys with stock trucks that have a hard time getting warranty to pay..

I wouldn't waste my money on extended warranty coverage unless perhaps your route is within a reasonable distance at all times to this shop that is telling you they will warranty their work. Not to mention there is a lot of stuff warranty will not cover anyways, that money is better left in your pocket IMO.

Also these prices you guys are throwing around really scare me, Canada was getting screwed on these parts before so I can only imagine what they look like now if they are jacking up the US prices.

You ain't kidding on these prices! I quoted all of this out last year, as I was already planning for it. Cummins has gone completely BONKERS up here in Michigan jacking these prices through the roof! If I had not heard the same from three local shops that I interviewed for this rebuild, and called my local Cummins shop, I would be feeling raped by my dealer right now, now I just feel like I was raped by Cummins. I know the dealer/shop has to make money, they are not a charity, but what Cummins has done on this particular motor is criminal in my book. How the hell can a reman 600hp motor go from $28,000 to $36,000 since December 2015? It is still a stock item, and they said I could have it delivered tomorrow if I want one, just give them a check and an address!

As far as the warranty, I run a small radius, normally 100 miles out and back, dealer is right down the street from my house. I can get it towed there if need be, finger's crossed they will do an outstanding job and everything will work in harmony and stay together, the reason I am replacing so many parts... One part fails, something else fails, trying to catch the vulnerable older parts and pieces for replacement.

And an extended warranty, no, not going there. I figure if something major goes, it will in the first year... LOL! But I believe these guys will back me up at the dealer, they know how anal I am on this truck and its maintenance. I walk in the place and I feel like Norm on Cheers, Hi Mike! They even know the sound of my voice on the phone... They run around on headsets, no caller ID on those... I asked. LOL!
replyreply
Just my way of thinking but in EGR form these engines have a high failure rate (since most steering wheel holders dont take care of their truck) and Cummins knows if they warranty the engine they will be fixing future failures. That being said I would have foregone the warranty if it would have brought the price of the rebuild down to a reasonable amount since failure on a MM engine is less likely.
replyreply
(03-27-2016 )preacherboy24 Wrote:  Just my way of thinking but in EGR form these engines have a high failure rate (since most steering wheel holders dont take care of their truck) and Cummins knows if they warranty the engine they will be fixing future failures. That being said I would have foregone the warranty if it would have brought the price of the rebuild down to a reasonable amount since failure on a MM engine is less likely.

We still have to go over pricing, so far the numbers I have are just a guesstimate... We are going to sit down this week and go over all of this... I don't think foregoing the warranty will really matter much at this point, and the fact that I don't stray that far from the shop that is doing the work. If something happens it will more than likely wind up right back there...
replyreply
Warranty, lol most places will try to say its something you did wrong or some other BS. I never put much stock in warranty. but being that your close to where your getting the work done(local) they will likely stand behind their work. as most don't want the bad rep. if they want repeat customer's,some could not give a S%&t as they got a big co. on the hook and just don't need to worry about your 1 truck.(and they show it, most stealerships)
but if its something major that go's while under their warranty i will fight for it :)
replyreply
(03-27-2016 )stevesparts Wrote:  Warranty, lol most places will try to say its something you did wrong or some other BS. I never put much stock in warranty. but being that your close to where your getting the work done(local) they will likely stand behind their work. as most don't want the bad rep. if they want repeat customer's,some could not give a S%&t as they got a big co. on the hook and just don't need to worry about your 1 truck.(and they show it, most stealerships)
but if its something major that go's while under their warranty i will fight for it :)

These guys have been good to me, been going there for a couple of years now and like I said, I live right down the road from them. I have not always been happy with them, mainly their service manager who has since been fired, and I think I had something to do with it. I went in there for a rear suspension repair, pin bushings and torque bars, that clown quoted me $3000! This was almost three years ago, and I had the work done for $800 down the street at my other shop. I ran into the owner of the dealer not soon after and he asked why I did not have the work done at his shop and I told him... That service manager was gone soon after. And I was not the only one to complain, but since they have been trying to get me back in, now they got me. I normally just buy my International OEM parts there and do all my own work in the driveway, weather permitting...

I think they will back me up with the warranty, but my hope is I will not have to use it. I have been up there a few times, they have a competent Cummins certified mechanic on the truck that has been there for ten years that I do get along with. He has also been open to a few things Unilevers, from here at Rawze.com, has told me to tell them. He was on board immediately with what he heard. So, finger's crossed, and his work looks good. I checked some of the lines that Cummins states need to be capped off on the motor when working on it, all of those caps were there, along with a few other things I witnessed in the shop in regards to my components, little things, but important things. I think I am in good hands. Oh, the owner is, and has been the service manager since they fired the last one, good guy, runs a tight ship.
replyreply
03-29-2016, (Subject: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... ) 
Well, I went up to the dealer to check on my baby, Jamie was working on her, some parts had come in, more coming this week... She was all apart, pistons and liners were pulled, front of the motor off getting her fresh front main seal... Liners all looked good, pistons too, no sign of any problems. A little life left in them, so that was good to see. I looked at the head, and could see where my copper spike was coming from. We still have not figured out 100% where the head leak was coming from, the gasket is still the main suspect. Oil pan was clean, looked good in there, no signs of any contamination.

I poked around her, the transmission cooler was ready to fail, the metal lines coming off of the cooler were rotted and roached, the lines are getting replaced too. I told them to replace the fuels lines from the tanks, seeing as the transmission is still out, do it now. I am sure they are ready for a refresh after 8+ years of use. Oil coolers were pulled and looked really good, but being replaced as per Unilevers. EGR cooler was off, dry as a bone in there, she is going back on as it is only two years old.

I wanted to go over pricing, but we had one helluva storm come through here Sunday night, It knocked out my phone and internet here at the house, and at my dealer, all of their systems were down too... So, I got nothing done in that regard. My phone and internet are still out here on Tuesday morning, running the entire house off of my iPhone with one bar of signal...
replyreply
03-29-2016, (Subject: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... ) 
Keep the updates comming Waterloo .. this is a very interesting saga you got going on here. Makes me want to g out and look for more things wrong with my own truck lol.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.