Oil analysis question?
05-14-2017, (Subject: Oil analysis question? ) 
RE: Oil analysis question?
(05-11-2017 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  5w40 at a 40k mi intervals? I'm surprised it has cams and bearings in it still. Must be runnin Lucas, Lol :big_smile2:
The question here is about the Test and numbers and how good is Blackstone Lab, not from what you are surprised but thanks anyway.Will check if the cam is still there:byebye:
replyreply
05-21-2017, (Subject: Oil analysis question? ) 
(05-21-2017 )LRT1549 Wrote:  ...

Proper maintenance, and proper oil change intervals DO make a difference.

From the sampling, it Looks like when you started using the 85/140 gear lube, etc. it eventually coated everything and iron dropped way off or was it something else? -- Anyhow, that is a good sign that you are doing something right.

Personally, i think that there is something missing for all oil analysis lab reports. -- The average fuel mileage per sample period. Perhaps even better would be the fuel used by the engine. -- This is indeed one of the most important numbers that the wear metals can be referenced to, as it reflects directly how hard your engine has been working while using that oil. - I have yet to see a lab offer this type of comparison, and it is relevant enough to consider for all of them.

Think about someone who gets 8 mpg, as compared to someone who gets 5 mpg. -- looking at lab results of the oil would tell 2 different stories and someone comparing the 2 without knowing this would conclude that the guy getting 5 mpg has something is wrong.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: LRT1549 , mmssvv , Toolguy
(05-21-2017 )LRT1549 Wrote:  I don't know anything about this lab though I can say that their report seems to be a bit simple.
It looks like your gong through a gallon of oil in about 13K which is about average. However from personal experience these engines will always use Valvoline. My 871 with a million plus on it will use a gallon of Valvoline in a 15k oil change where if I run Delo it won't use a drop.

I run Delo 400LE and a gallon of Walmart's Supratech 85/140 gear oil. The gear oil throws off some of my oil readings, however with the oil analysis I use I know which readings are effected by it and as long as they stay close to the same then thats the same as if I didn't run it.

I use Polaris Labs. I pay $265.00 for 10 bottles which means 10 Tests. One thing I like about them is when you go online to view the test you can click on all the fields and it will tell you where the metals or whatever can come from.

Also I'll echo what the others have said. 15K-18K on an oil change and no more.
Now you don't know me and I don't know you, but I can tell you this. My 2008 871 as I sit here right now has 1,065,633.3 miles on it. I "Fixed" my truck 1-1-16 when it had Roughly 91k on it.
I'm the second owner and friends with the original owner. I can tell you that this truck has had it's oil changed every 15k-18k all it's life. Before it was Fixed the old owner ran Lucus and since I've ran the 85/140.
Rawze has seen the inside of this engine. It has 2 polished cylinders from broken rings. Me and Rawze put 3 new injectors in it in Jan 16, taking out the original injectors (91K+ on them) at that time Rawze saw my cams and can tell you how good they looked, They look the same today. At 96K I rolled new bearings in it. The mechanic that did this asked why I was doing it because he swore they had about 200k on them. They were original. This is a factory 600hp 871 in a W9. Its a fuel Drunky, It's had 91k miles at an average of 5 mpg worth of soot go through it and it's still running strong today... Why am I telling you this, Simple there's one main reason why it's still running and that's because it has been properly maintained with the oil changed at a proper (NOT CUMMINS RECOMMENDED) intervals. This truck has been used hard, it's not a flat land princess. The original owner lives in the Denver area and haul meat to California and produce back two trips a week. I live in the Salt Lake area and run the 11 western states hauling Steel... This is a mountain truck built for flat land. It runs 3:36 rears it WORKS for a living.

Thank you for the response!I know most of this thing and for sure the best way for oil change is around 15k.I owned old 871 and did 954k on it with zero problems and changed oil every 15k since I owned the truck(bought 324k). Even at the end before I sold it, never add oil from change to change.The oil level drop from max to about 1/3 of full and that's it.No gear oils,no lucas no anything then 15w40 Mobile Delvac.I'm pulling reefer and most of the time west WA,OR.Now with the new truck (cm2350 bought new and currently with 455k on it) I am going same way ,west.My own opinion is that this truck is complete crap compared to my old one.
5 years ago didn't know Rawze.com exist and now i learned lot of things about those motors, thanks to this site but
this is my personality to push the thing to the limit and make experiments.I'm realizing this can be very pricey experiment but I have my own theory about the oils.I think, today problems with the wear on the newer engines are more related to the quality of the materials then the quality of oils and change intervals.I saw people here with serious problems way before my mileage doing regular oil change interval and some others running their oils more then 100k with no problems.Are they lie?Probably No.Is this proving something?I think No.
By the way, the added oil in my last oil change interval includes one gallon in the new Oil filter changed on 22k. which mean the consumption on oil is not bad.This is my 10th regular oil change on this motor after the initial on 10k.
Against all generally accepted theories for best oils and change intervals I am planing to switch to AMSoil and 50-60K oil change and install bypass filter.That is me, can't change.Will keep posted everyone here, if the truck and my business are sill alive after year or two:).I am very skeptical about last one.:)
Thanks again for the post.
replyreply
(05-21-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(05-21-2017 )LRT1549 Wrote:  ...

From the sampling, it Looks like when you started using the 85/140 gear lube, etc. it eventually coated everything and iron dropped way off or was it something else? -- Anyhow, that is a good sign that you are doing something right.

Personally, i think that there is something missing for all oil analysis lab reports. -- The average fuel mileage per sample period. Perhaps even better would be the fuel used by the engine. -- This is indeed one of the most important numbers that the wear metals can be referenced to, as it reflects directly how hard your engine has been working while using that oil. - I have yet to see a lab offer this type of comparison, and it is relevant enough to consider for all of them.

Think about someone who gets 8 mpg, as compared to someone who gets 5 mpg. -- looking at lab results of the oil would tell 2 different stories and someone comparing the 2 without knowing this would conclude that the guy getting 5 mpg has something is wrong.

I am very with you about your last statement.There should be a big difference based on the fuel consumption.At all, there is a lot of unclear things around those samplings, that is way I start this tread. I start doubt it for them.
replyreply
05-22-2017, (Subject: Oil analysis question? ) 
(05-11-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  I could not understand the analysis. Am I missing something? -- For example: It says the iron was 14.

14 WHAT? ...

For all I know, that could be 14 idiots floating in the swimming pool next door to the place. -- I HATE OBSCURE OIL ANALYSIS REPORTS!.

--- There is no indication in that oil sample of WHAT values the numbers represent. It can only be assumed that it is PPM?

It would be nice to have it stated on the report, or am I missing something.

=============

AND FOR ANYONE TO TELL YOU YOU COULD HAVE GONE LONGER ON THAT OIL ---- HAS TO BE AN IDIOT!!!!--- A COMPLETE IDIOT!

Just my own opinion, no one has to agree.

I would not be so quick to use an oil sampling company that would make such a BULLS#IT claim! --- And people praise these guys? --- C'MON! -- I see a serious red flag here with that statement.
Vertical column in black says Elements In Parts Per Million.
replyreply
(05-21-2017 )mmssvv Wrote:  ...
I am planing to switch to AMSoil and 50-60K oil change and install bypass filter.That is me, can't change.Will keep posted everyone here, if the truck and my business are sill alive after year or two:).I am very skeptical about last one.:)
Thanks again for the post.

I call that spending a dollar to save a nickel... Everyone I know who has done this ends up replacing overhead cams at regular intervals, blaming the problem on everythng but the BS they are torturing their engine with. Good luck with it is all I can say.

My own thoughts on extended oil changes...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...657#pid657

I know if one guy who has consistently used Amsoil and bypass filters with extended oil changes for a few years now on his engine. He has gone through 3 overhead cams already, and continues to blame everything but what he is doing.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: mmssvv , Toolguy
Fun facts about oils.
{Link removed - Copy-cat site}
replyreply
05-23-2017, (Subject: Oil analysis question? ) 
(05-22-2017 )Mrkentee Wrote:  Fun facts about oils.
http://www.motoroiltests.com/diesel-oil-...SN98oEpCEc

I have found out that the website you are linking there is a marketed copy-cat site. Here is the origional...
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

You know its funny how they ranked Delo above rotella on that copy-cat site, but every time I have tried to use delo, my oil turns dark quicker. I'll stick to what got my engine its first million miles with almost no wear (the rotella + 1 gal of gear lube mix),.. I think that is good enough for the price and ease of places I can get it from. No sense for me to waste time continuing to research something that clearly works with positive results for me and about 1,000 others that are doing the same oil+gear lube truck. Maybe someone should tell the guy to rank rotella + 13% 85-140 supertech gl-5 (or sta-lube gl-4) gear lube mix and put it on his list.

I didn't choose those particular brands, etc. for any reason other than easy to get anywhere, and looking at wanting to get my zinc levels close to about 1400-1500 or so + raising viscosity and hydraulic pressure ratings a bit. This was only because I thought something straight form any of those bottles on their own was not quite what I wanted to see in my engine.

It turns out that roughly 12-13% is the mix ratio that ends up in the engine after a few oil changes due to residuals. Nothing wrong with that.

I would also NEVER EVER use that royal purple in my truck. It just simply way-over priced garbage with no extra benefit to justify such costs. It also has some F$%^d up additives form what i have read like bleaching agents that cause damage over time but who knows for sure.

Whole website looks too well sponsored for those opinions to be honest if you ask me. I can't tell you how many e-mails I have deleted and ignored from companies trying to get me to talk good about their junk, or place adds for stuff in my posts. I'd rather be honest and poor, than a crooked, scamming bastard any day of the week. People and companies who sponsor and promote products will find no sympathy or mercy from me.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee , Toolguy
05-23-2017, (Subject: Oil analysis question? ) 
"I have found out that the website you are linking there is a marketed copy-cat site. Here is the origional..."

That's a lot of info to go through. I was mostly interested in the numbers of the additives.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.