deisel fuel in radiator
05-12-2017, (Subject: deisel fuel in radiator ) 
deisel fuel in radiator
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this forum rawze. I have been reading and learning a lot of info so far just read as a guest and im hopeful that as a member I can finally get some answers for some issues I am having with my truck. I have a 2006 kenworth w900l with a cummins isx cm870 in it. Set at 600hp 1850ft lbs torque. 18 speed trans, 3:36 rears, low pro 22.5 tires. Fuel milage is about 4.5 - 5.5mpg at 70mph empty. Truck has not been demandated. However I am a power only hauler so even when im loaded im empty 70% of the time. The best mpg I have seen is in northern half of the country. The worst is southern half coast to coast. When temp out of side gets over 70° motor starts to warm up excessively and power and performance fall right off. Millage is the same loaded or bobtail. I bought this truck almost a year ago and it had about 250000 miles on overhaul. Since I've had it I've had to replace #5 injector, egr cooler replaced cuz it was cracked, and I've had overhead reset twice. Trying to figure out what is wrong with this thing because I know it should be performing a WHOLE lot better than it is. I blew a steer tire at speed limit on I-70 east of Denver a month ago and in my down time I've been applying some of the stuff I have been reading about here. So that when repairs are done ican see if it helped any. Which brings me to my first question. While doing the egr tune up last night I found what appears to be diesel fuel in the radiator and not sure where it came from or how long it has been there. The only time radiator has been drained since I have owned it was when egr cooler was replaced. I have never had to add fluid to system and it has never left a trail or a puddle from overflow. The only time any fluid has ever came out of system was when I had blow out then it spewed from overflow tube till radiator cooled off and new steer tire was installed. Radiator was checked in Denver when repairs were made to get truck home. Hasn't made a mark since. Guess I am looking for any help figuring out how the diesel fuel could have gotten in the system with out ever over filling it. Like I said earlier the truck has been down for a month getting repairs from tire damage and almost finished. When finished this thing needs to recover from down time. Flushed system with water at opperating temp last night for an hour or so and going to get stuff to flush today to see if I can clean system any better. So question 1 if diesel fuel is in the radiator that could cause it to run hot correct. Question 2 is it possible to miss diesel fuel in fluid when the shop that did egr cooler refilled the radiator. Truck has run like this consistently since I bought it and any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post but felt the more info I gave the better the responses would be. Thanks again in advance.
replyreply
RE: deisel fuel in radiator
Injector cup failure? Maybe when the new injector was installed? And that fuel mileage sucks. Have you done an EGR tuneup? And heating up, I wonder if they replaced the oil cooler and thermostat when they did the in frame? I would also see if you have a new head on that motor and not a reman. There is a code on the side of the head somewhere, stamped into the metal.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hhow55
Thanks for the response. I checked with kenworth today and truck has to have a reman head cuz the said it doesn't have injector cups. According to the vin #. Yes the fuel milage sucks. Thats how I found the fuel in radiator while I was changing temp sensor. The intake was actually very clean when I took it apart. Oil cooler looks fairly new and temp is normal when running hottest it has never been over 240°. Not sure if it was a reman head at rebuild but will look at head and try to find the #. After looking inside the intake tube with the restriction caused by the egr line its looking like I need to replace intak and demandate the truck. There is only maybe a quarter of an inch around the egr tube for clean air to flow around. Thanks again for the input it is appreciated.
replyreply
05-13-2017, (Subject: deisel fuel in radiator ) 
Thanks for the info but thats a hike from northcentral illinois. Any buddy closer to me that you would recommend? Steelership just gave me a quote for a reman at about $10000.and thats at factory spec not demandated. Guess I need a good shop in my area any help would be appreciated
replyreply
05-13-2017, (Subject: deisel fuel in radiator ) 
Thats awesome thanks again for info waterloo. I will give him a call.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.