Popping in steering
05-15-2017, (Subject: Popping in steering ) 
Popping in steering
Last week when coming to a stop felt a popping in the steering.
Took it to a shop in Rippon Ca and tested the steering linkage & replaced the
drag link which had excess movement.

Did not fix the problem.
It only does it after the truck heats up under load.
Does it intermittently mostly when pulling hills whether turning the steering wheel or not.
2011 T700

Any thoughts on how to narrow down the problem?

Thanks T700
replyreply
RE: Popping in steering
Popping in the front end during a hard turn is almost always side-play in the shackles and spring joints. There are shimm kits to take up the space and cure it.

Popping when pressing the brakes hard can be king pins, bushings, or even the drag link, but that is usually easy to spot when you jack it up and check for play. Popping can also happen when pressing the brakes hard from the brake pads suddenly shifting in the drum. My own truck does this only when you get on the brakes really hard and it is a pretty strong bump. Replacing the shoes did not change it. The truck has always done this since it was new and there is nothing that can be done to correct it. Driving it and pressing the brakes normally will not make it happen. It is only when you slam them on hard, then after a few seconds, there is a heavy "bump" in the front end as they shift.

Just some things to consider towards finding your problem.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Old Driver , t700 , Mrkentee
(05-15-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  Popping in the front end during a hard turn is almost always side-play in the shackles and spring joints. There are shimm kits to take up the space and cure it.

Popping when pressing the brakes hard can be king pins, bushings, or even the drag link, but that is usually easy to spot when you jack it up and check for play. Popping can also happen when pressing the brakes hard from the brake pads suddenly shifting in the drum. My own truck does this only when you get on the brakes really hard and it is a pretty strong bump. The truck has always done this since it was new and there is nothing that can be done to correct it. Driving it and pressing the brakes normally will not make it happen. It is only when you slam them on hard, then after a few seconds, there is a heavy "bump" in the front end as they shift.

Just some things to consider towards finding your problem.

Checking it out this week.
Thanks for the starting point.

T700
replyreply
Like Rawze was saying about the shackles depending on the design of the springs they could have bushing kits as well but it requires removal of the leaf springs, when mine was popping I actually found out the leaf spring had actually cracked near the eye of the spring.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , t700
05-16-2017, (Subject: Popping in steering ) 
(05-15-2017 )marek4792 Wrote:  Like Rawze was saying about the shackles depending on the design of the springs they could have bushing kits as well but it requires removal of the leaf springs, when mine was popping I actually found out the leaf spring had actually cracked near the eye of the spring.

Thanks
Will be looking at tomorrow or Thursday & take a close look at the springs.

T700
replyreply
05-17-2017, (Subject: Popping in steering ) 
When mine front end was popping under braking it turned out to be cracked brake shoes. Once I replaced the shoes my popping disappeared.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , t700

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.