Decisions.... Need advice
05-15-2017, (Subject: Decisions.... Need advice ) 
Decisions.... Need advice
Hello, I'm a new member who has learned a lot from this forum. Thank you

I recently bought a 2012 KW T800 day cab with a 450 ISX cm2250- 570,000 miles, stock. The truck was from auction with a couple others from same fleet from New York state.
-I realize the risk of site unseen internet auctions, but for $25K, I thought it was worth a try. It is setup perfect for what we want on the farm. Very sharp clean truck, tight chassis. The truck made the 850 mile journey to Illinois fine, but I noticed a little coolant loss. I fixed a couple of external leaks when I got home, but I took it to my local shop to pressure test the egr and remaining system. On the way to the shop after adding some coolant, it puked quite a bit of coolant out the overflow.... The egr tested good, so it looks to be (head gasket, cracked head, cylinder, deeper issue, etc?)
I sent in an oil analysis, but still awaiting the results, (though I do not know what brand/type of oil was in it, mileage, etc.   ..) It was not obviously milky or smelling of coolant at least.

Before taking it to the shop, I went through the EGR tuneup as described and it really looked pretty clean overall. The DPF and DOC, and DEF doser looked good as well when disassembled.

What are my options?
1- take it back to another auction
2- drive it for a while as is... see if it gets hot under a load. I have not licensed it yet. we put less than 15K miles per year on our farm trucks
3- spend money and overhaul the engine and know what I got then with a warranty... (though it is hard to spend more on the motor than I paid for the whole truck...)
4- reman motor? too pricey?
5- overhaul and delete the mandate?

Would anybody recommend any shops in North or Central Illinois for this type of work?

Thanks
replyreply
05-16-2017, (Subject: Decisions.... Need advice ) 
RE: Decisions.... Need advice
2 and 5 are your best options. 1 is out since it's probably as is and final sale. I hear reman motors are junk and come with problems like sunken liners and are pretty pricey too (30k plus??) maybe some of these guys can give you better advice
replyreply
Get it rebuilt and have the counterbores cut & shimmed regardless of the liner height during tear down. Delete it while you're at it or you will have no end of problems using it on a farm.
replyreply
#5 is what it is going to take to fix it. However, if you bought the truck from a used or new truck dealer then they should be able to help. DId you have any warrenty with it? Any truck that comes here with pushing coolant most all get over hauled due to liner dropping.
replyreply
(05-16-2017 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  #5 is what it is going to take to fix it. However, if you bought the truck from a used or new truck dealer then they should be able to help. DId you have any warrenty with it? Any truck that comes here with pushing coolant most all get over hauled due to liner dropping.

Okay, thanks for all the replies. I do not have any dealer to take back to as it was an internet auction, but I knew that going in. Mr. Hagg, what are some ballpark figures on doing #5 option. I wish you were closer. Do you know anybody to recommend up in my neck of the woods? The mechanic said it built 8-9 psi at 3 minutes with the egr and compressor unhooked (maybe more things as well..) I'll try to put a load on it and drive around to see if it gets hot when I have more time.

Can anybody explain the low pressure waterless system I read about? Any details?

thanks
replyreply
Never mind on the waterless no pressure thing, I read Rawze's post on why not to try it!
replyreply
Gearhead is on PA MD line. Might be a little closer.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
I am near I-80 in western Illinois.
replyreply
05-18-2017, (Subject: Decisions.... Need advice ) 
(05-16-2017 )masseyharris74 Wrote:  I am near I-80 in western Illinois.

Masseyharris74 I live in Northern IL on the WI state line. I made the trip to see Mr. Hagg. He's worth the trip. Very good people. You won't be disappointed.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.