A cheap chip
05-18-2017, (Subject: A cheap chip ) 
A cheap chip
I was researching about EGR deletes and found a company that makes a "chip" that fools the EGR system into thinking it is above 5000ft. It keeps the EGR valve closed and may throw a code about the EGR system being closed. Nothing on the system is removed. Other than that it supposedly has fuel economy increases on average of .7mpg, and more hp. It is not expensive either. Has anyone used this to verify this actually works or is this a gimmick product to obtain better mpg's and horsepower?
replyreply
RE: A cheap chip
(05-18-2017 )acfarmboy Wrote:  I was researching about EGR deletes and found a company that makes a "chip" that fools the EGR system into thinking it is above 5000ft. It keeps the EGR valve closed and may throw a code about the EGR system being closed. Nothing on the system is removed. Other than that it supposedly has fuel economy increases on average of .7mpg, and more hp. It is not expensive either. Has anyone used this to verify this actually works or is this a gimmick product to obtain better mpg's and horsepower?

Various versions of those and other engine damaging devices have been around for years on the Internet. The ugly-fix device is a similar device that does the same thing. Those particular style of half-arssed tricks causes the engine to go into one of its high altitude mode and over-boosts the turbocharger at the very least. Another "thing" sold across the Internet to desperate truck owners looking for a quick fix. They are everywhere and their claims are always glorious and too good to be true.

The end result is detonation and liner issues after about 100-200k miles at the very least, and cracked pistons if you are unlucky. if someone is that hell bent on ridding their engine of the mandate, then do it right so that you don't have issues. Contacting Mr. Hag, Unilevers, and/or Gearhead are good choices for more info on that.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , JMBT
I know 3 guys who have bought gimmick things like this and the fuel temp resistor. All 3 have had catastrophic failure of thier engine's and preach hard to guys not to use them.

When I say catastrophic, I don't mean they needed a inflame.. ... I mean they toased the damn motor!

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Marajin , Rawze , JMBT
Assuming you live in a country that allows those things ..

If your looking at a proper de-mande then do it right so that you don't have to look back in 6 months or a year wishing you had while sitting on the side of the road with a popped turbo or engine.

Your options are>

Unilevers, Gearherad in maryland, or Mr. Hag down in atlanta.

if you have a 871 engine you can do it yourself using instructions for MM off the internet. Guys who are decent with a computer get brave and do their own with good success.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
This article comes to mind...
If i lived in a foriegn Country What would I look for ...

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I fully understand shopping around for a good deal on things. Trucks are expensive at every turn. But I have never understood always buying everything because it's the cheapest. You have to make a living with your truck. Weather you are just the driver or a owner op

Cheaper is not always better. Most expensive doesn't mean it's the best either. I wouldn't try the cheapest gimmick today knowing it could cost me 25k+ next week. I'm interested in the tried and true proven long term success.

If you need help with a get issue then you are in the right place.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , JMBT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.