ISX, Oil check procedure?
05-19-2017, (Subject: ISX, Oil check procedure? ) 
ISX, Oil check procedure?
I just wanted to see what some of you guys do when checking your oil on the ISX. Also if anyone has every heard the actual procedure from Cummins. Do you check hot, cold, both? Do you wait for the oil to drain down into the pan after running, if so how long?

I typically check at fuel stops, so engine is still warm. I pull into the fuel pit and after ext temp has cooled down, I shut it off and wait a full 15min while fueling, cleaning windows etc. then check.

I got to thinking about this because, I was forced to have my oil changed on the road the other day, instead of doing it myself. I told the "tech" to put in only 42qts. He, did reluctantly, wanting so bad to put in 44. He had me start it up, idle a minute, then bring the RPM's up to 1200 or so for a few seconds, and then told me to shut it down. As soon as the engine stopped he pulled the dipstick and there was barely any oil on the bottom. "See, he said, it's low let me add some more" I told him no, an asked if he would let me set in the bay another 10 mins or so while I went in to pay. He agreed, so we went to the office. When we came back out I pulled the dipstick and it showed full. I showed him and he was surprised. He said he normally would have added another gallon after the first check.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
05-19-2017, (Subject: ISX, Oil check procedure? ) 
RE: ISX, Oil check procedure?
Nothing wrong with the way you're doing it. With 44 qts after service, mine shows almost to the top of the word full. It's like getting a little extra, I figure. The best time to check, I think, is in the morning before starting. Or when it's warm and has sit at least 15 minutes or so. Bottom line, however you do it, is to have sufficient oil in it. My two cents.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , fargonaz , Running rough
05-20-2017, (Subject: ISX, Oil check procedure? ) 
I believe the official proceedure is wait a few minutes after shutting off at operating temp. There's no logic or value in checking it immediately after shut off - There's still heaps of oil in the head and front geartrain.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Running rough
I agree, waiting is the way I have always done it. 15 min, can change the value on the stick by a gallon! I wish Cummins would publish a bulletin on this and circulate it to all the oil change providers around. Had I not stopped him I would be overfilled by a gallon! I believe it is much worse to be a tad overfilled, than a tad under filled as the extra oil can get whipped into a foam like consistency and then greatly impede lubrication.
I usually run mine right between the add and full, or two quarts shy of the full line. It seems to consume a bit less that way.
In the case I have to get an oil change on the road, I tell them only 42qts instead of the Cummins stated capacity w/filter of 44qts, that solves the overfilling problem.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Running rough
If the person changing your oil doesn't understand that then I wouldn't let them put a spanner near anything of mine. On the other hand, he probably just wanted to put in the published refill amount - You might even have a dipstick that's out of calibration.
replyreply
regarding oil change - when I mount new oil filter do I prefill it with oil or no?
As far I read on this the answer is no. just would like to confirm.
replyreply
KTbtrucking: I do not prefill the oil filter at all, I also put the fuel filter on bone dry, 1 60 second prime cycle and she starts up with no stammering.

Signature620: I agree, that's why I always do it my self if possible. I don't know about the dipstick being out of cal. It is the original from the factory so I would hope not but who knows anymore.... As far as the published capacity for anything. I would say you should never, ever start with that amount, but rather work up to it. If I would have let him add a gallon, we would have been at 46qts.

I owned a Buell motorcycle some years back with a souped up HD sportster motor. In reference to checking the engine oil, the manual said: do not check cold, warm bike up to normal operating temp, shut off, lean bike on kickstand on level ground, remove the dipstick, wipe it off, an set it back in the oil reservoir, do not screw it in when checking oil, allow 2-5 minutes for oil level to stabilize before taking a reading.

Now that is what I would like to hear from Cummins!!!

replyreply
 Thanks given by: ktbtrucking
I always keep my oil at the level where you only see the "FU" in full dry. I have even been a gallon over this a time or 2 by mistake. It still didn't foam up the oil. - I keep it there because my engine runs slightly quieter there.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Very interesting, maybe the foam is just some more Cummins folk lore, just because it is printed in a service manual doesn't mean it true right. Like the deal about rotating the rocker shafts for adjusting Jake detent. (In the manual, but not accurate) That was just one of the many maladies they said could be caused by overfilling.....

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.