Exhaust manifold temperature...clarification please
05-19-2017, (Subject: Exhaust manifold temperature...clarification please ) 
RE: Exhaust manifold temperature...clarification please
(05-19-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  So, I am watching my exhaust manifold temp gauge like a hawk while climbing. With a typical load, not super heavy or super light, on the big TX hills, and its 96 degrees outiside today, I can either:

A) Hold my speed steady to the top with no gear drop, at top temp is about 930, as I back out of it, and kick on my manual fan switch to cool down.

B) Hold top gear until RPM's drop off a bit then hit my fan switch and grab a lower gear. I'll top the hill about 8 mph off my starting speed, and temps about 830- 850

C) Flip manual fan switch at bottom, drop gears and speed in succession, to keep manifold temp gauge in the 700's and RPM's high.

I do none of the above. My truck gets 8+ mpg, even when loaded 80,000 lbs gross for a reason.

I drive by my boost gauge and never let it go above about 12-lbs boost or so. When i get to a hill, I down-shift early and climb it in the gear that allows me to keep boost low and a steady slow speed with 1600 RPM or so. -- If the hill is big enough for the pyro to start to get to 900+, I kick the engine fan on and keep going. -- I always let the super-truckers pass me, let them tear up and wear out their equipment,.. I am in it for sheer long term profit I can keep, and not have to use to fix my truck with all the damn time.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , hhow55

Messages In This Thread
RE: Exhaust manifold temperature...clarification please - Rawze - 05-19-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.