Ism running warm
05-21-2017, (Subject: Ism running warm ) 
Ism running warm
I have a 2007 ism that runs "warm" under a load.

The waterpump is new. It doesn't use or leak any coolant. At idle it sits around 180. Driving is 195 ish but will go to 205,fan kicks on then cools to 190. Does this the whole time while pulling something.

At idle if you rev the motor from idle sitting still you can watch the gauge climb.

We're would a guy look first?

Thermostat?
Sensor?
replyreply
RE: Ism running warm
Warms to 205, fan comes on cools to 185-190.. I'm no expert, but sounds normal to me.. What vehicle is this in? What kind of load are you talking about? De-mandated? As much info as you can add will really help..
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , Waterloo
I get what ur saying about being normal, I've never owned a ism before but it's not a powerhouse that's for sure lol.

As far as a load, any load,empty or loaded were the motor has to work at all.

As far as mandate, they said the egr was deleated ,but i cannot verify.

It may be normal I just didn't think it should cycle like it does. It's constant. Like fan kicks on every other mile it seems. When it does kick off it cools instantly. But climbs from 190 to 205 within a min.

Also the turbo coughs and puffs some black smoke out exhaust pipe. Only at low rpm like a 1000, doesn't do it all the time either .

I have been getting around 6mpg.

I just got truck a cpl weeks ago and tried to look as best I could but I couldn't pull anything with it.
replyreply
If its been De-mandated I would be getting ahold of gearhead to look over the programming... Info on the vehicle is always helpful.. Yr, make, model, milage, mods? Since the programming is an unknown at this point and very very few are actually capable, I would start there.. Better to know that it's right before it costs you an entire motor..
replyreply
i have heard that a lot of guys who do deletes for hem use firetruck tunes for them. This makes them run hot and is bad for the engine. Fire truck tunes are made to make a cold engine scream and go really fast and no one cares how abusive it is because they are only going 3 blocks down the road and stopping. -- Put that in a highway truck and it spells problems.

Gearhead would be your best bet to get it straightened out if it is programming.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Squish099 , Waterloo
06-07-2017, (Subject: Ism running warm ) 
Ok, so I haven't had anyone look at ecm yet.

I changed the thermostat yesterday and the seal on the old one was bad so it wasemt sealing.

The truck got to the point today were it would run 200 210. Fan wouldn't cool it back down. The stop engine light would come on and I would have to pull over

I noticed the egr would cycle and when it did the coolant hoses going into the coolant resivor were putting out alot of coolant with air bubbles. But there was no pressure when u took cap off

I took the egr off pressurized the exhaust ends of it and put in a bucket of water and it's blowing air bubbles into the coolant....

Would this cause it to run hot?
replyreply
(06-07-2017 )race7820000 Wrote:  ...
I noticed the egr would cycle and when it did the coolant hoses going into the coolant resivor were putting out alot of coolant with air bubbles. But there was no pressure when u took cap off

I took the egr off pressurized the exhaust ends of it and put in a bucket of water and it's blowing air bubbles into the coolant....

Would this cause it to run hot?

If you don't have Insite, how can you possibly know when the EGR is "cycling"?
I'm confused, but;

I'm trying to fill the gaps in here but if I'm understanding you correctly you have pressurized the gas side of the EGR cooler. If this is correct, and you have plugged the "crossover" line for EGR cooler gas to run from the EGR cooler into the intake manifold, as well as the exhaust manifold "U" for hot exhaust gas in and pressurized for an EGR gas pressure test, and this is where you are getting bubbles in the coolant? I have never heard of anybody pressure testing an EGR cooler this way before.
If this is correct, then YES, your EGR cooler is cracked and exhaust gas is entering the cooling system via the EGR cooler. Note: I am filling in some blanks for this conclusion.
Yes, this will cause your unit to run high coolant temps as the coolant is being permeated with up to 1000 or more degree exhaust gas!
IF the above assumptions are correct, you need to change your EGR cooler asap!
IF the above assumptions are incorrect, disregard this entire post and properly diagnose your issue.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hhow55
Lol sorry.....

On the egr cooler there is an exhaust entrance and exit at both ends.

I made a plug for the exit ,and one for the entrance but with a air valve so I could enter air into it and pressurize the egr itself. Again only were the exhaust enters and exits.

There is 2 bigger hoses that come off the egr and 2 smaller threaded nipples .

I put into a bucket of water

When pressurized (like I'm testing to see if the exhaust was leaking) it will leak air bubbles out were the coolant lines are on the egr, If you put your ear up to the the coolant lines on the egr u can also hear the air leaking through .

So what I'm saying is the when the exhaust is passing through the egr it has to be leaking gases into the coolant because when the exhaust is pressurized with a plug at either end air comes into the coolant passages.

I'm just asking if this would cause my motor to run hot. ?

Sorry for any confusion.
replyreply
Example

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201706/post_1869_1496888595_b750d2fe9bbb1fe6e6002c4e1d176ee1.jpg
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.