Coolant in oil (Oil analysis)
06-02-2017, (Subject: Coolant in oil (Oil analysis) ) 
RE: Coolant in oil (Oil analysis)
The truck is a 13 speed with 3.70 ratio. The frame will be stretched, left a tandem and fitted with a flat bed with beavertail. Max pulling weight will be 20,000lbs. Will be used for OTR 80% flat highway, 20% mountain terrain work.

User's Signature: VOLVO VNL 780 Cummins 450HP CM871 W/13 Spd
replyreply
06-03-2017, (Subject: Coolant in oil (Oil analysis) ) 
(06-02-2017 )Makmak Wrote:  The truck is a 13 speed with 3.70 ratio. The frame will be stretched, left a tandem and fitted with a flat bed with beavertail. Max pulling weight will be 20,000lbs. Will be used for OTR 80% flat highway, 20% mountain terrain work.

13, 3:70's is nice and makes for a 55-63 mph truck. Perfect for making decent money but the Volvo part dictates up to 0.6 mpg less than say a prostar, T700, Cascadia most of the time. Also slightly shorter turbocharger life due to poor external cooling but some of that problem can be lessened with some mods.. At least it does not have an I-shift (idiot-shift) in it. That would be another 0.4-0.6 mpg less again. I guess that interior they have is going to cost you some money in mileage every year and slightly higher maintenance on parts and other things. i equate it to buying a condo and having to pay dues even though you own it, but that is just me and my own limited view on that brand of truck. Others do not have to agree.

At least it isn't one of those ugly square-nose fuel sucking beasts that burps every time you go past a fuel station. That would be worse yet. - I don't even like the way those W9's and others that are similar even look, nonetheless would own one unless I was going into the woods or a quarry locally with it.

Ok, enough with my moronic ranting for the day ...

-- If engine is old, put a decent amount of vacuum on the coolant system with the coolant still in (you might have to drain 1 gallon first) and then pull the injectors out. After they are all out, pressurize the coolant system to about 1- 2(two) psi (no more with injectors out). Just enough to make a slight positive pressure but not enough to do harm. Watch it closely over then next hour or so if you think it has a leaky cup or 2. I am sure you will find it if it has a leaky cup.

Some tings to keep in mind..
- NEVER pressurize the coolant system by very much with the injectors out of an ISX. > It might cause an old injector cup to fail or become leaky. No sense in making something worse.

- It IS ALWAYS good practice to pull a vacuum on the coolant system if your going to pull injectors out of an older engine. The injector has been in there a long time and sticks to the injector cups pretty good over time due to heat. Putting a decent amount of vacuum on the coolant system while removing injectors helps keep the cups in place so they do not become leaky.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Makmak
06-03-2017, (Subject: Coolant in oil (Oil analysis) ) 
Some great information thank you Rawze. Oh so so much to learn!!

Still waiting on the ECM download. Grrrr

UPDATE
I did end up buying the truck...$10,000 less of his asking price. So now working on some issues with motor and hopefully keep it running long enough to make $ with the truck and put the money saved towards a inframe.

User's Signature: VOLVO VNL 780 Cummins 450HP CM871 W/13 Spd
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.