inside cab smelling burn oil
06-02-2017, (Subject: inside cab smelling burn oil ) 
inside cab smelling burn oil
Hi Rawze

I'm adding 80/90 gear oil on my engine Isx (2250) 15.but inside the cab smelling like burning oil. But there is no exhaust leak. Right now 708765 miles .So what is the problem.... please advised me I appreciate for your help.
replyreply
RE: inside cab smelling burn oil
Try running the A/C on recirc. It's obviously leaking oil on to something hot enough to burn/vaporize it. That should narrow down the possible location of the oil leak.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: nirubini
I get the same smell on my 2250 after an oil change. After two days or so, it goes away.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
 Thanks given by: nirubini , redbeard
06-03-2017, (Subject: inside cab smelling burn oil ) 
Don't rule out the tranny on the oil smell in the cab. I had another guy say he started smelling oil all the time,.. then found out his tranny was full of coolant because the heat exchanger in it was failing.

With the engine getting old, it could be many things.m 2250's and 2350's are notorious for the older style of valve guide seals going bad, gear lube or not. This would certainly make it burn a bit of oil.

When is the last time you replaced your crank case filter? -- On an old engine, they need replacing more and more ofter because of more and more blo-by. Most guys resort to drilling the element out to relieve the crank case pressure as the engine gets old. Excess crank case pressure can definitely damage turbochargers, make the seals on them leak, and even damage the air compressor and power steering pump face seal form what I hear. If you are getting oil seepage out of the engine brake harness on the drivers side of the engine, that is a sign of crank case pressure buildup.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
What causes cran case breather build up?
replyreply
(06-03-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  Don't rule out the tranny on the oil smell in the cab. I had another guy say he started smelling oil all the time,.. then found out his tranny was full of coolant because the heat exchanger in it was failing.

With the engine getting old, it could be many things.m 2250's and 2350's are notorious for the older style of valve guide seals going bad, gear lube or not. This would certainly make it burn a bit of oil.

When is the last time you replaced your crank case filter? -- On an old engine, they need replacing more and more ofter because of more and more blo-by. Most guys resort to drilling the element out to relieve the crank case pressure as the engine gets old. Excess crank case pressure can definitely damage turbochargers, make the seals on them leak, and even damage the air compressor and power steering pump face seal form what I hear. If you are getting oil seepage out of the engine brake harness on the drivers side of the engine, that is a sign of crank case pressure buildup.

I had maintain free crankcase filter. But I'm changing my lube engine for 15K miles. That time I'm adding 1.5 Gal of oil . If adding the Delo oil, I don't smell the burning oil when adding 80/90 gear, the lube smells inside the cab if I turn on the A/C or not. I don't have any oil leaking my engine.
replyreply
(06-03-2017 )Kle018 Wrote:  What causes cran case breather build up?

Oil getting past your piston rings, along with exhaust gas from the head. It will get to a point where you will need to in frame.
replyreply
(06-03-2017 )nirubini Wrote:  I had maintain free crankcase filter. But I'm changing my lube engine for 15K miles. That time I'm adding 1.5 Gal of oil . If adding the Delo oil, I don't smell the burning oil when adding 80/90 gear, the lube smells inside the cab if I turn on the A/C or not. I don't have any oil leaking my engine.

gear lube smells slightly different than engine oil because of the added ingredients. If you can smell it then you were also smelling the engine oil too. You may have gotten so used to it that you did not notice it any more, and now the gear lube is making you notice it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.