Idle oil pressure
06-08-2017, (Subject: Idle oil pressure ) 
Idle oil pressure
My idle (700 rpm) oil pressure is now consistently below 20 psi at 210°. As soon as rpm's come up, oil pressure comes up. No complaints, otherwise. Pump is shimmed.
I replaced the sending unit and it made no difference. There's only one sending unit that I'm aware of. Insite shows 1-2 lbs higher (fluctuates) than gauge. Oil pressure sensor voltage is 2.0 volts.
It's original with 760,000 miles on it.
Should I be thinking about replacing the oil pump?
replyreply
RE: Idle oil pressure
What engine do you have?
replyreply
(06-08-2017 )redbeard Wrote:  What engine do you have?

CM 871
replyreply
You are in the same range as I am, same oil temp, same pressure, I think it's fine.

Just don't make prolonged dead idle a habit. I always bump to 900rpm if I have to idle. Dead idle (6-700rpm) is one of the hardest things there is on an engine.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(06-08-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  You are in the same range as I am, same oil temp, same pressure, I think it's fine.

Just don't make prolonged dead idle a habit. I always bump to 900rpm if I have to idle. Dead idle (6-700rpm) is one of the hardest things there is on an engine.

But when you're in traffic, there's nothing you can do.
replyreply
set the idle up in insite, 700-800 is still easily doable and is much better than 600.
replyreply
(06-08-2017 )Mrkentee Wrote:  But when you're in traffic, there's nothing you can do.

Agreed, but the duration of this is not really long enough to be a major concern.

Like Unilevers says you can bump it up some in Insite. Mine is set so that when the Cruise Control On/Off switch is set to Off I can use the Set/Resume switch to adjust dead idle settings, check to see if yours will do this as well.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
06-09-2017, (Subject: Idle oil pressure ) 
(06-08-2017 )Unilevers Wrote:  set the idle up in insite, 700-800 is still easily doable and is much better than 600.

It's at 700 now. At 800 I would think it would lurch fwd when you let the clutch out. And you'd slip the clutch so much.
replyreply
06-09-2017, (Subject: Idle oil pressure ) 
(06-08-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(06-08-2017 )Mrkentee Wrote:  But when you're in traffic, there's nothing you can do.

Agreed, but the duration of this is not really long enough to be a major concern.

Like Unilevers says you can bump it up some in Insite. Mine is set so that when the Cruise Control On/Off switch is set to Off I can use the Set/Resume switch to adjust dead idle settings, check to see if yours will do this as well.

Mine is set up that way, also. When I stop, I always kick it up to 800 or 900.

It hasn't been this low before. This just started recently. I'm just wondering if I shouldn't be planning on replacing the oil pump, if that would make a difference.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.