help with data link adapters and codes
06-15-2017, (Subject: help with data link adapters and codes ) 
help with data link adapters and codes
2014 Prostar CM2350 de-mandated couple years ago (is it the latest update Rawze?) Never a check engine light but yesterday shut off while driving and wouldn't restart. 2 times it would start and run only for a couple seconds. Similar to out of fuel. Code at time of shut down ENG SPN 40839 FMI 3. On trying to restart it got SPN 639-3 (J1939 data link), SPN 2000-9 (unknown component), ABS SID 231-2 (SAE J1939 data link), ABS SID 231-14 (SAE J1939 data link), SPN 639-14 (J1939 data link), and SPN 2000-19 (unknown component--bad networm data). Obviously some problem in the wiring. The codes were viewable on a program called VMS-PC which I use to monitor fuel economy and engine parameters. Similar I think to Cummins Road Relay. Towed it home.
Dug out both Nexiq and Chinese Inline 5 DLA neitber of which I have ever hooked up or used before. Can't get either to connect to ECM using Insite 7.6.2.240 SP5. (Same port laptop was hooked to BTW). Using the Nexiq sofware I can instantly locate the following modules. 11-Brakes-System Controller, 23-Instrument Cluster, 33-body Controller. As Inline tries to commect POWER light is on and CAN/J1939 and also J1708 lights flash. USB light appears not to be lighted. As Nexiq tries to connect POWER light is on. Actually both DLA POWER lights are on asbsoon as they are plugged in. Other frequent codes that started early June include SPN 40839-7, (unknown component) and 3981-2 (unknown component). Again, never a CEL except for random low coolant-Ive got a air bubble in the system. Am I not doing the DLAs properly or did I just find my problem?
replyreply
RE: help with data link adapters and codes
As far as the codes go, I am not finding them. You need to get insite hooked up and going on it and see what gives.

I think the only shutdowns you have are coolant level, coolant temp, oil pressure, oil temp. if i remember right.

Your truck has always had some minor wiring woes, and dependencies. Maybe one of them has finally gotten around to haunting you. Check all fuses and breakers for starters, especially the tiny ones in the far left of the fuse panel. Those like to tarnish and go bad but still check good sometimes.

Pray your fuel pump did not fail with the infamous plunger problem that takes out the whole engine.

There are also some updates to the program you have that are available tbw, but they aren't going to magically cure any wiring issues in that thing but do help with fuel mileage, engine smoothness, etc.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Midland
Yes, I have never tracked down the dash wanting to light up all on its own, though it always performed about the same. My most likely guess (and its a guess) is that something from the wrecked wire harness was damaged and I didn't catch it as I rebuilt it. ABS is on the passenger side and cab controller on the left side. Lots of wires going across there where there was substantial cab damage. Guess now is the time
replyreply
And any archived special stuff about getting DLAs to work?
replyreply
(06-15-2017 )Midland Wrote:  And any archived special stuff about getting DLAs to work?
You have J 1939 problem.
Start here to make sure physical line is working, not shorted to the ground or +12 or between H - L.
http://truckmechanictips.com/tmt_plugins...c.php?1004
replyreply
06-16-2017, (Subject: help with data link adapters and codes ) 
(06-15-2017 )snailexpress Wrote:  
(06-15-2017 )Midland Wrote:  And any archived special stuff about getting DLAs to work?
You have J 1939 problem.
Start here to make sure physical line is working, not shorted to the ground or +12 or between H - L.
http://truckmechanictips.com/tmt_plugins...c.php?1004

Had just found more or less same thing in quick serve last night. Also found a bunch of codes that will shut the engine down. Time to get started. Thanks
replyreply
06-16-2017, (Subject: help with data link adapters and codes ) 
What did you find?
replyreply
06-21-2017, (Subject: help with data link adapters and codes ) 
OK. Me and the rental truck getting home tonight. Before I left last week to finish this load I retrieved a few codes relating to low voltage to ECM and codes relating to 2nd fuel tank sending unit which the truck doesn't even have. That was on my neighbors Snap On scanner. I need to zap the password or something on my Insight as I would like to take my time and look around in there a bit. Any easy short cuts for the password thing? Will keep you all posted .
replyreply
06-25-2017, (Subject: help with data link adapters and codes ) 
Update and more questions. And maybe information for the next victim of J1939 failures

So far no visually damage wires. Dash is still in, have not pulled all the wire loom from the chassis to engine harness, but it tests OK. Testing OK doesn't really mean anything since I can't find the ECM from the diagnostic plug. Basically, it can't be broken and OK at the same time. Pretty sure it is broken. Duh.

The ohm testing on the J1939 data link (at the diagnostic plug) would appear to pass with the key off, and fail with the key on. OFF gives a nice 59 ohms, with the key on, it fluctuates. Basically, where every I break the J1939 and test, I get around 59 ohms, unless I break it such that one of the terminating resistors is out of the loop, then I get around 118 ohm. So I started working down the data link under the seat to the sleeper and at one point thought I had found something. One plug was giving 51K ohms. However, after more digging, it appears that this data link is radio only. 51K ohms with the radio plugged into the harness, open circuit with the radio unplugged. 59 ohms when I test the other end of the plug going into the sleeper. Appears to go from the main radio to the sleeper radio, has two terminating resisters built into the plugs at the sleeper remote radio.

So, does anyone one know, did International (or anyone else for that matter) use multiple but separate data links? Oops, maybe answering my own question here, the wiring diagram shows the radio data links going back to the "Driver Display". Will have to verify that as that could be my broken link.

Also, went and found the two terminating resistors. One in the wire harness in front of the cab (right in front of the accelerator, the other on the left frame rail behind the transmission, right where the 1st U joint throws grease all over. The both look good, and if either is unplugged, I get approximated 118 ohms.

BUT, then I discovered another (yes, a third) terminating resistor on the bunk heater assembly. That data link appears to run parallel to the radio link, I have not confirmed for sure that they are indeed totally separate, but right now I think they are. That leads me to believe that the heat/AC might be on its own link like I thought (think) the radio might be. Next the dash comes out so I can start to investigate in there. Would that mean there is a 4th terminating resistor, somewhere on the heat/AC circuits?

Also, some terminology problems. OnCommand (Internationals service manual on CD) has extensive wiring diagrams. Lots of reference to "No Idle Engine Heat" circuit which appears to be different than the bunk heater and APU circuits. Anyone know specifically what they mean by this, as it seems to be closely tied to all the bunk lights, and maybe the remote sleeper radio? Also "Driver Display", I was assuming that meant the small LCD type display below the tach and speedometer but there is also various references to "Vehicle Information Display" and also "Driver Interface Display". These last two are tied to the "J1939 Adapter" which seems like a clearing house (at least on paper) for the J1939 bus. Need to find that in check it out, I guess. Anyone know what the different terms might actually refer to? 2014 Prostar.

Anyway, have to go to Oregon, then Kansas for family matters, so it will be a while until I am back poking in the truck. Taking the wiring diagrams with me. Maybe, just maybe will see something that helps.

Any thoughts or further questions to lead me somewhere would be welcomed. Otherwise, carry on, and don't go where I did if you can help it.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.