help with data link adapters and codes
06-25-2017, (Subject: help with data link adapters and codes ) 
RE: help with data link adapters and codes
This may sound stupid....but I have to ask........

Did we look at the basic things that cause multiple codes, and codes that don't make sense....

Like...

checking the battery connections, and the infamous "grounding problems" bugaboo??

just a thought....

User's Signature: You want how much?
replyreply
06-25-2017, (Subject: help with data link adapters and codes ) 
Yes, batteries, connections, two fuses at batteries to ECM. All the grounds I could find. All checked. Truck will crank like crazy. Once in a while it will start an run for a couple seconds. Dash display shows "electrical fault" after key on and all the "checks" take place. Maybe there are some grounds I don't know of.
replyreply
06-26-2017, (Subject: help with data link adapters and codes ) 
(06-25-2017 )Midland Wrote:  Yes, batteries, connections, two fuses at batteries to ECM. All the grounds I could find. All checked. Truck will crank like crazy. Once in a while it will start an run for a couple seconds. Dash display shows "electrical fault" after key on and all the "checks" take place. Maybe there are some grounds I don't know of.

couple simple checks...

See if it is building oil pressure on the gauge in the dash when cranking. - If it is then it is communicating and there is power to the ECM. If no, then it is not communicating and/or no power to the ecm. The oil pressure gauge in the dash uses the J1939 (Mr. Hag showed me that simple trick a while back/ thanks).

See if you can connect to the ECM via the "weahter-pack" 3-pin harness out at the engine. i uise this connector whenever I can't connect to the ECM via the dash. Works well as a second source for connecting. It is a separate engine network (J1939 #2) that only runs things like the turbo and egr valve. I have gotten into many ECM that way when the dash/truck communications have failed.

I pointed it out here a long time ago in this picture for the CM2250. CM2350 has same connector in almost same place...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...87#pid1087

====

You said it stumbles sometimes. Sounds like it is starving for fuel pressure or that the ECM has possibly gone bad?. - Typical symptoms of fuel starvation and/or an ECM going bad. - you need to get connected to that ECM and find out the fuel pressures while cranking.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Midland
Also found a list of International fault codes. Some of my codes are matching those. Some point to Instrument cluster error and/bad ECM. Hadn't given much thought to a bad ECM since I was getting ABS codes and other similar datalink codes. OTOH, when it did start Saturday, heard the lift pump running (usually don't hear it under this symptom) and it fired right up. Headed off to check the oil pressure right now. Then cobble an adapter to get into the weatherpack connector. Fuel pressure while cranking--makes sense since it acts like out of fuel. Also found detailed troubleshooting in OnCommand for all sorts of stuff like this, more ways to test J1939, etc, which will be next after verifying ECM is still functioning. Unfortunately, many other mandatory family distractions that are going to delay me on some of this. Thanks to all for getting me this far.
replyreply
Guess I should just get this:
Deutch-Adapter-Cable-Cummins-Engines - {link broken}
replyreply
07-26-2017, (Subject: help with data link adapters and codes ) 
Update for those who still have any interest. Truck is fixed, runes like it should. One broken wire. Ignition wire to pin 5 on chassis harness to ECM. Broken right near a 5 amp fuse up on the engine near at the valve cover. I knew about the fuses (5 and 30 amp) down in the battery box, but didn't really know about this one. Fuse was good but the wire after the fuse was damaged by a wire tie or maybe just bad luck. That would be a wire International installed when they built the truck. It was hard to find because the codes were all about data link errors both from the engine and ABS module, so I already had the dash out looking for damaged data link. Also, I bought a Mawk bypass engine harness and when that was plugged in the engine started immediately, so I was pretty sure at that point it was chassis wiring. Solved a couple other benign issues with the radio and a couple other things while it was all apart. Cleaned every plug and ground I could find. Based on the amount of work one wire caused, I was REAL CAREFUL getting it all back together and tied up nice and tidy. Protect your wiring!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Kid Rock , fargonaz , Rawze , Tcarpenter , t700 , DDlighttruck , Old Driver

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.