I need help with gear oil..
06-15-2017, (Subject: I need help with gear oil.. ) 
I need help with gear oil..
I have read over and over and over that I should be putting a gallon of gear lube in my engine at every oil change and I cannot bring myself to do it, I think because I don't know what exact kind to use.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motoma...p.html#srp

What about this stuff, would it serve the purpose? What brands do you guys use?
replyreply
06-16-2017, (Subject: I need help with gear oil.. ) 
RE: I need help with gear oil..
I have been using this for 2 years now in my engine half a gallon in winter and a gallon in summer. And if you search the forum Rawze explains what's good for what good you can do to your engine.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Because of the great EPA, oil companies have had to remove key minerals, like Zinc, from engine oil over time. The EPA mandated this because every engine will eventually burn oil, creating emissions. Zinc, when burned, creates ash. This can clog catalytic convertors over time. However, Zinc is a great anti-wear mineral. It coats bearing races, reduces engine wear, and prevents dry starts. While there are some engine oils that still have Zinc in their oil (Rotella), it is at a much lower amount than before.

Gear oil still contains high amounts of zinc and there is no threat of the zinc turning to ash inside a transmission or differential. Most everyone here uses Sta-Lube. You can get it at Napa or Amazon. As MBlazevic stated above, one whole gallon in the summer and half a gallon in the winter.

If you have difficulty getting Sta-Lube, you can also use Mobil One gear oil. However, it is much more expensive.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Roysbigtoys
Sta-Lube GL-4 here in my 2008 CM-871. Been running it for roughly two years without issue. But, for the newer motors a GL-5 is recommended, for the 2250 on up. Rawze did a write up on this here somewhere.

I found this interesting too in regards to motor oils and classic cars... https://www.shellx100oil.com

We are not the only ones suffering from EPA mandates.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Roysbigtoys
you can get Sta-Lube GL-4 from ebay instead of parasite amazon. people are not robots i do not support amazon
replyreply
Rawze has used super tech from Walmart and found no issues with it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
What st of Sta lube? 80/ 90?
replyreply
06-17-2017, (Subject: I need help with gear oil.. ) 
Rawze says:

Depending on how old your engine is, and how much wear it has,.. is how "thick" of a gear lube you should likely be using. Here is some good rules to follow...

* If your engine is "new", less than 300k miles on it,... you should likely only use half a gallon of some decent 80/90 or 85/90 gear lube at each oil change.

* If your engine is "worn slightly", less than 300k - 500k,... you should likely use a full gallon of some decent 80/90 or 85/90 gear lube at each oil change.

* If your engine is heavily worn,.. 500k miles or more,.. then you should likely use a 3/4 to a full gallon (depending on how worn out) of some decent 85/140 gear lube at each oil change, but only put in a half gallon in in the winter, so that it does not making starting the engine more difficult when it is very cold.

* If your engine has 800k, or perhaps a million miles plus,... you should be using a a full gallon of some decent 85/140 gear lube at each oil change, no matter the weather conditions.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.