Coolant leak out exhaust at cold startup
06-25-2017, (Subject: Coolant leak out exhaust at cold startup ) 
Coolant leak out exhaust at cold startup
This morning after truck sat all weekend. O started it and went to right side of truck had what looked like oil dripping out of exhaust clamp behind turbo. Wiped it with paper towel and it showed some red. I run red coolant. Egr cooler is on engine but exhaust flow is blocked off to it. And it is demandated with unilevers tune. Took it for a drive to warm engine came back and it quit leaking. Did exhaust gas in coolant test and it passed test. Liquid stayed blue. Not an excessive amount of pressure in coolant tank . And hasn't been using a noticeable coolant. Any ideas?
replyreply
RE: Coolant leak out exhaust at cold startup
If forgot to add . Engine is a factory reman engine with 30,000 miles on it.
replyreply
A couple places I can think of. One is the doser injector. Other is unlikely but maybe the head is cracked.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
Coolant issues...

You could check it for any kind of rapid pressure buildup when engine brakes are on or while engine is under heavy load. Installing a pressure test kit and extending the hose long enough so that you can put the gauge in the cab temporarily will let you do this.

If you suspect a leak then when not driving it ...
Pressure test it to 20 psi and let it sit overnight. Check for coolant inside the intake and exhaust of turbocharger, in the back side of the egr cooler, and around the doser injector after sitting all night. Also check for external leaks and check the tranny for coolant buildup if it has a coolant type heat exchanger. Sometimes the coolant level in the tank does not drop even though you have a leak. Never trust the fact the coolant level is not dropping when doing pressure testing. Pressure testing can find leaks that only seep a bit when the engine is not running, so the level will not noticeably change in the bottle.

If an internal leak is suspected, you can pull the oil pan, wipe everything down good at the bottom of the engine, pressurize the coolant system to it to 20 psi and let it sit overnight. Look for coolant around the bottom of the liners and pistons next day. Sometimes you will only find a tiny drop or 2 mixed with oil at the bottom of a rod cap or other component. You have to take a hard look but those types of problems can always be found before pulling the engine apart.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , scottydogtruck
Ok. Egr cooler is isolated from exhaust stream
. It has cool flow but no exhaust through it.
Could It be a leaking turbo?
replyreply
How much wetness is inside the doser injector pipe?

User's Signature: You want how much?
replyreply
There is no doser any more . I haven't pulled pipe off. In there was some coolant there . That's where it leaked out.
replyreply
(06-25-2017 )little john Wrote:  There is no doser any more . I haven't pulled pipe off. In there was some coolant there . That's where it leaked out.

im lost, so the doser was the problem?
replyreply
(06-25-2017 )little john Wrote:  There is no doser any more . I haven't pulled pipe off. In there was some coolant there . That's where it leaked out.
Is it CM871?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.