Bypass oil filter systems
06-27-2017, (Subject: Bypass oil filter systems ) 
Bypass oil filter systems
Looking at buying a bypass oil filter system. Found a interesting document that talks about it.
.pdf  LT15094.pdf (Size: 156.44 KB / Downloads: 733) the one point it brings up is to truly filter soot of of your engine oil the bypass filter needs to be the centrifugal type. Is the amsoil bypass system lots of you using centrifugal? Is it actually really necessary to go this route?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz
06-27-2017, (Subject: Bypass oil filter systems ) 
RE: Bypass oil filter systems
In all honesty, I don't know the exact specifics of it but I can tell you the amsoil setup works and works well.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
06-28-2017, (Subject: Bypass oil filter systems ) 
(06-27-2017 )Shandro Wrote:  Looking at buying a bypass oil filter system. Found a interesting document that talks about it. the one point it brings up is to truly filter soot of of your engine oil the bypass filter needs to be the centrifugal type. Is the amsoil bypass system lots of you using centrifugal? Is it actually really necessary to go this route?

Claim number 6 is kinda bulls$it. I monitored my soot levels through sampling when I first got my truck. Every single oil sample was somewhere between 3 and 4 when the sample came back from a lab. I put on an el-cheap bypass oil filter system ( Amsoil - no affiliation, just happened to be the brand eventually chose) and the very next oil sample it had dropped to 0.2. All oil samples after the install, the soot levels never got above 0.4 at any time. It was roughly 10% or less of what it was and iron and all the other wear metals dropped slightly too.

I never informed the lab I was sending my samples to what I had changed. All I know is that there was a clear difference in soot levels. My Cm871 was a soot monster that had emissions issues as early as 180,000 miles into its life and the stealershits/cummins was of zero help to me towards solving any of those soot and emissions system problems. - I went to about 15 different stealershits for both cummins and international trying to find the Cummins 'Centraguard' bypass oil system to put on my engine and they all starred at me with a blank stare. I WANTED THE OEM BYPASS SYSTEM ABOVE ALL!

Not a single one of them had even heard of it. After educating them by showing them the documentation directly from cummins, they all just gave me me bulls$it excuses as to why they could not order the system or install it. A couple of them called the red engine maker and got the same bullsh$it answer. it was roughly "The regular oil filter for the ISX has bypass filter built in and you don't need anything else". -- What a complete f$king joke!. - If that were the case,.. like implied in that article you just posted there,.. then the bypass system I ended up installing later would have made no difference in the oil.

I found out in the end that my engine did not have enough oil pressure to make that system work properly and gave up on it. I then started trying to get one of those gulf-coast filters on my truck only to find out there was no place to mount it, as it was too damn big. - Hence the el-cheapo Amsoil one that fit next to my fuel tank.

I only ever took my truck to a stealershit one time to have something fixed under warranty, mileage at 280,000 miles. I had a printed bumper-to-bumper warranty good for 300,000 miles as thick as an encyclopedia that described every single system, bolt, screw, component, etc. and what it covered. -- I had egr system issues (thought it was the turbo though), severe engine hesitation, and fuel mileage dropped from 6.8 to 4.0 or less. I was no longer profitable with the truck at that fuel mileage.

They had it for a week and when I got it back, I had to pay $890.00 EVEN UNDER WARRANTY for some BS excuses they claimed about jump starting it and ordering parts. Drove it out of their gate and they fixed ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!. Fuel mileage was still below 4.1 on it and fuel severe pedal hesitation/power loss was still there.

I learned how to fix the truck myself after that and swore I would park it in a junk-yard before ever taking it to another stealershit or OEM represented facility. -- I still feel this way after more than a million miles and have not had my truck to any of those places since.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nilao , Shandro , schISM , Wiseman , barf , Midland , ktbtrucking , PuroCumminsPower , Toolguy
I talked to small mom and pop shops that would be willing to hang the part but don't have the computer to do the codes. I laughed and said I just needed the part put on. I'd handle the computer. I just don't have the room for all the tools I need for a roadside repair sometimes. 99% of the time though I can limp ithome where I can fix it while enjoying the comforts of home.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Toolguy
First hand experience is always the best kind. Documentation and reports can only take a person so far. On the mack there are already 2 full flow filters and a separate bypass filter right from factory. So I'm not to sure adding something additional will help to much. Got in touch with gearhead to do a tune on this truck and hopefully after that the oil will start to clean up once it running like it should.
replyreply
(06-28-2017 )Shandro Wrote:  First hand experience is always the best kind. Documentation and reports can only take a person so far. On the mack there are already 2 full flow filters and a separate bypass filter right from factory. So I'm not to sure adding something additional will help to much. Got in touch with gearhead to do a tune on this truck and hopefully after that the oil will start to clean up once it running like it should.

The Mack is really nothing more than a red Volvo with a bit different programming. I have a 2011 D13 and in the fall of 2015 I installed an oil spinner. I change my oil at 30000 - 40000 km intervals and with the spinner the oil may not be oil jug fresh, but I can still just see through it on the dipstick 20000 km into a cycle.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
06-29-2017, (Subject: Bypass oil filter systems ) 
how many times per hour should one of these things go through all of the oil? 5 times 10 times?
replyreply
The amount of oil flow through a bypass filtration system is limited to what will be parasitically scavenged from the system based on; pressure, hose diameter, resistance, and flow capabilities. Most systems are typically rated at about 2 gal/min, so an 11 gallon sump should theoretically filter 100% of the volume every 5-1/2 mins (about 10 times/hr). The reality is that the bypass filtered oil is returned to the sump where it blends with the non-bypassed filtered oil.
That's why it's called a Bypass Filter System and the factory filter is called a Full Flow Filter because 100% of the oil flows through that filter.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Shandro , Roysbigtoys
I noticed that Donaldson make a "full flow" replacements for the isx. I was specifically looking for one to use in place of the half full flow and half bypass fleetguard that Cummins uses. I figure a good full flow paired with a oil bypass system like the dual filter amsoils would make for a happy engine.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.