Weed Burner Exhaust Question
06-30-2017, (Subject: Weed Burner Exhaust Question ) 
Weed Burner Exhaust Question
I have a 2009 ISX 871 that I'm wanting to put a generator (redneck apu) on. Its fits one way on one side and another way on the other. I'd much rather have it on the passenger side however my exhaust stack is in the way. Ive thought about removing it in favor of the weed burner style exhaust.
The question:
Will switching to a weed burner style affect the motor in a negative way or positive way or neutrally. And how?
Not looking for the "you're gonna piss people off" "i hate weed burners next to me" "they suck" answers, I've already seen those.
Closest answer Neutrally I've gotten from a tech is he didn't think it would much matter after the DPF.
I'm thinking back pressure, turbo spooling items like that which might be impacted.[/size]
Thanks
replyreply
RE: Weed Burner Exhaust Question
(06-30-2017 )Grizzly Wrote:  I have a 2009 ISX 871 that I'm wanting to put a generator (redneck apu) on. Its fits one way on one side and another way on the other. I'd much rather have it on the passenger side however my exhaust stack is in the way. Ive thought about removing it in favor of the weed burner style exhaust.
The question:
Will switching to a weed burner style affect the motor in a negative way or positive way or neutrally. And how?
Not looking for the "you're gonna piss people off" "i hate weed burners next to me" "they suck" answers, I've already seen those.
Closest answer Neutrally I've gotten from a tech is he didn't think it would much matter after the DPF.
I'm thinking back pressure, turbo spooling items like that which might be impacted.[/size]
Thanks

Here is someone who converted to weed burner. He says he gained a bit of power and lost a couple hundred pounds in weight. He has a couple more vids on this project but I can't remember which ones.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Grizzly
Every 90 degree bend slows the exhaust stream down. If it's a prostar I would expect no difference in performance or mileage.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Grizzly
(06-30-2017 )Grizzly Wrote:  I have a 2009 ISX 871 that I'm wanting to put a generator (redneck apu) on. Its fits one way on one side and another way on the other. I'd much rather have it on the passenger side however my exhaust stack is in the way. Ive thought about removing it in favor of the weed burner style exhaust.
The question:
Thanks

If the truck is still stock and not de-mandated then i doubt it makes much difference other then loosing the weight of the components. If it is de-mandated, custom tuned, it may have slight impact depending on how its tuned.

Boost and pyro gauges are your friend. If you don't haver those on the truck that would be your first move, so you can compare the before and after.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Grizzly , Zapah , Toolguy
07-01-2017, (Subject: Weed Burner Exhaust Question ) 
I cut mine off and went to a weed burner and haven't had a problem.   

It made room for my "redneck APU" which works great so far.   

I probably cut off and unbolted 200 lbs of needless weight. No difference in sound or performance that i can tell.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Grizzly , fargonaz , marek4792
07-01-2017, (Subject: Weed Burner Exhaust Question ) 
I'm also looking into running a grassburner setup on my cm870 truck is a volvo vnl model my question tho my exhaust pipe runs along the top of the frame rail to the stack. If I make my grass burner setup run from the dump pipe outside the frame (behind the passenger step) and back under the frame like the Mack in the video above, would the extra bends add enough back pressure to not overboost/speed the turbo without a muffler?
replyreply
07-02-2017, (Subject: Weed Burner Exhaust Question ) 
(07-01-2017 )marek4792 Wrote:  I'm also looking into running a grassburner setup on my cm870 truck is a volvo vnl model my question tho my exhaust pipe runs along the top of the frame rail to the stack. If I make my grass burner setup run from the dump pipe outside the frame (behind the passenger step) and back under the frame like the Mack in the video above, would the extra bends add enough back pressure to not overboost/speed the turbo without a muffler?

Same thing. Boost and pyro gauges are your friends.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: marek4792 , Grizzly , Toolguy
07-02-2017, (Subject: Weed Burner Exhaust Question ) 
Weed burner exhaust has its benefits but if you don't have a APU and you sleep in a running truck you definitely have to be carful which way the wind is blowing. You can really polute yourself or your neighbor. When I had one I had to always watch how I parked. Mostly away from truck stops out in the open so I could get a read on the wind and park accordingly. Just wanted to through that out there. I know you are running a apu. Some may not be though.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Grizzly , Rawze , marek4792 , Wiseman
07-04-2017, (Subject: Weed Burner Exhaust Question ) 
Converted my last two trucks to weed burner. I could not notice any positive or negative effects from doing so. Obvious weight savings. I don't ever idle, so no issue there.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Grizzly , Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.