@m*m^2 idling less than 1 gallon per hour
07-03-2017, (Subject: @m*m^2 idling less than 1 gallon per hour ) 
@m*m^2 idling less than 1 gallon per hour
Looking for some feedback about idling fuel usage after @m*m^2 tuning. I have heard it is much more efficient, but compared to an APU...
replyreply
RE: @m*m^2 idling less than 1 gallon per hour
I doubt you will ever beat an APU in the fuel usage game but I have gotten my injectors down to using 8-9 mg/stroke. that is a full 75% decrease over factory so I'm guessing I would use .25 gallon of fuel an hour IF I were to idle. I like my engine too much to abuse it that way though.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: yamajason , Hammerhead , Waterloo , hhow55
I'll be putting a new apu in my truck later this year. Im not doing it so much for the fuel savings but to cut my use and wear on the truck engine.

I will, however, still idle the truck if it's forcast under 15 deg F though. Even though you can get an Arctic apu... Which is really the same thing as a closed loop apu except it's plumbed into the engine coolant, which is what my truck currently has...I haven't really learned to trust it to keep my fuel from gelling. I worry about the fuel in the lines and the fuel filters, not so much what is in the tanks and engine.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
I haven't idled my truck the last two winters here in northern IL with temps below 0°
fahrenheit at times. My Thermo King Evolution hasn't let me down. No gelling issues at all. I do use anti gel additive in the winter as well though. Just my 2 cents.

(07-03-2017 )dhirocz Wrote:  I'll be putting a new apu in my truck later this year. Im not doing it so much for the fuel savings but to cut my use and wear on the truck engine.

I will, however, still idle the truck if it's forcast under 15 deg F though. Even though you can get an Arctic apu... Which is really the same thing as a closed loop apu except it's plumbed into the engine coolant, which is what my truck currently has...I haven't really learned to trust it to keep my fuel from gelling. I worry about the fuel in the lines and the fuel filters, not so much what is in the tanks and engine.
replyreply
I'm trying to step up to an evolution because my tripac has let me down! I want to start with a fresh unit that doesn't get ignored and abused.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
My 871 idles around .5 gallon/hr. Im in the process of modifying a window unit to sit under the bunk so i can have shore power a/c or generator a/c
replyreply
(07-03-2017 )smorgan87 Wrote:  My 871 idles around .5 gallon/hr. Im in the process of modifying a window unit to sit under the bunk so i can have shore power a/c or generator a/c

What a great idea. What size btu are you modifying?

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
07-04-2017, (Subject: @m*m^2 idling less than 1 gallon per hour ) 
(07-03-2017 )hhow55 Wrote:  
(07-03-2017 )smorgan87 Wrote:  My 871 idles around .5 gallon/hr. Im in the process of modifying a window unit to sit under the bunk so i can have shore power a/c or generator a/c

What a great idea. What size btu are you modifying?
12k btu. I cut the condenser off and am mounting it behind the cab with a 12v cooling fan powered off a 120 >12v transformer. Just gotta find time to get the copper tubing ran and service valves sweated in. Had planned on flare fitting but the od is a hair bigger than 1/4. Bought a champion 3100 electric-remote start to run it and keep the batteries warm. Gonna install that in the nose of the hopper to cut down on noise.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
07-04-2017, (Subject: @m*m^2 idling less than 1 gallon per hour ) 
(07-03-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  I doubt you will ever beat an APU in the fuel usage game but I have gotten my injectors down to using 8-9 mg/stroke. that is a full 75% decrease over factory so I'm guessing I would use .25 gallon of fuel an hour IF I were to idle. I like my engine too much to abuse it that way though.

I would like to get mine that low as well, how have you gone about achieving this?

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.