Multiplex gauges
07-03-2017, (Subject: Multiplex gauges ) 
Multiplex gauges
So as I understand it, 2010 and newer models like my T2 have multiplex gauges, which communicate with a computer via encoded signals which are decoded and displayed by the appropriate gauge using a data line.

I also understand that if you communicate with the module, you can turn certain gauges on and off...and basically daisy chain the gauge wiring making adding certain gauges easy. Also makes it easy to move certain gauges around in the dash I suppose.

What I'm curious about is how to identify which sensors my truck is equipped with so I can add the appropriate gauges. I added aftermarket pyro and boost already.

I'm looking at adding f/r drive axle temp, oil temp, trans temp and possibly a fuel restriction gauge.

Can anyone send me some advice or guidance? My understanding is you have to have the appropriate software to connect and turn them on before they will plug in and work, and my truck didn't come with much as far as gauges go...

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
RE: Multiplex gauges
I think you would be better off going aftermarket on all those. The axle sensors will need to be installed either way, and I'm not 100% sure your rear wiring harness has the wires needed for hooking it all up. the same goes for all the other sensors. It's rather expensive for the guages. I looked up the cost to replace my air pressure gauge because the needle does not light up anymore and the gauge alone was $240. If I needed the scale that goes behind the needle it was an extra $180. So if it was me I would put all aftermarket in.
replyreply
I bought a 2010 PB 386 former fleet truck in 11/14. It had 8 basic gauges.
I bought a used dash panel from Vander Haags online, with 11 more gauges and 5 switches, for $700.
I took 2 (amps and fuel restriction) out and put the Glowshift boost and temp gauges in. I ran an air line for the suspension gauge.
The oil temp, factory boost, and brake app just had to be enabled.
I added temp sensors to the rears and trans. You also need a jumper to go from the sensor to the plug in the harness. I think those had to be enabled also.
The program they use is Paccar ESA (electronic service agent ? ). You need a Nexiq or equivalent to connect to the cab controller module, through the ecm port. It won't work with the Cummins Inline 5.
Then you just have to know how to go about it.
The plugs for the temp sensors shouldn't be too hard to find. Except the trans temp. I searched for quite some time for that. Unilevers gave me a tip where to find it. it was actually on the left side near the frame rail in the area by the steering linkage. I found one where I expected to find it underneath for 'aux transmission' and figured it could just be switched in the computer, but no can do.
Anyway, I hope this big long story helps.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dhirocz , Nostalgic , Andre_The_Giant
Yes it does actually! I'm not going to be using factory boost but I do want to keep an eye on oil temp and my drives especially. I'll take a look when it's light out tomorrow and see if I can find the plug. Then it should be a matter of ordering the temp sensors and jumper harness to those sensors.

So I'm assuming since inline 5 doesn't work that inline 6 won't either?

Where did you get ESA?

I don't necessarily need the accuracy of an aftermarket gauge for these. That's why I went aftermarket of boost and pyro. The rest of these I'd rather keep somewhat matching and it keeps me from having random wires running about. As far as the parts go...I'm usually pretty thrifty on finding them for a good deal.

The axle temp gauges, for example, I just want them to give me an indicator if something is wrong (like high temp due to low fluid)while I'm driving.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
Temp sensors are common-about $50 apiece. Jumper wires 10 or 20 dollars. You can buy used gauges, or a whole panel like I did and get everything.
Gearhead helped me with the ESA as well as Ken in Indiana. I have it but can't use it. I got it off m-h-h dot com.
Yes, I have two boost gauges. Why? I don't know.
replyreply
(07-03-2017 )Mrkentee Wrote:  Yes, I have two boost gauges. Why? I don't know.

I have two boost gauges also, well actually 3 if I choose to have boost displayed on my scan gauge. The factory Volvo boost gauge has 5 indicator lines on it in about a 100 degree arc. The lines are at "0" "15" "30" "45" and "60". About the only thing this thing is good for is telling you if you have your foot on the throttle or the brake. My main boost gauge is a mechanical gauge from my old Pete with lines at 3 psi increments so I can actually see something useful. If I want to get really OCD I can monitor my scan gauge and it reads down to 0.1 psi increments.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.