Crankcase pressure
07-07-2017, (Subject: Crankcase pressure ) 
RE: Crankcase pressure
(07-06-2017 )Mrkentee Wrote:  It's got 160k on the inframe. But the oil consumption has been steady since I've had it, almost 300k.

Update: It passed the redneck manometer test no problem.
Because of the way it pulsates, I tend to think it's a cylinder, and not the compressor or turbo. Does that make sense? I may hve rings that never seated properly. What would be a remedy for that?

It could be a broken oil ring. Only way to tell would be to boroscope it and look for streaking in the liner walls.

If that is a fresh inframe with all new pistons and liners, etc. then it would concern me too. Must have missed that in my earlier post.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee
Only remedy I'm aware of in rings that fail to seat is to redo the offending cylinder. Usually shops just put new liners and rings in but they usually won't unless it eating a ton of oil. I've heard of powders that can be introduced through the intake to scuff the cylinder wall but I'm nervous about putting anything abrasive into my engine.
replyreply
(07-07-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  Only remedy I'm aware of in rings that fail to seat is to redo the offending cylinder. Usually shops just put new liners and rings in but they usually won't unless it eating a ton of oil. I've heard of powders that can be introduced through the intake to scuff the cylinder wall but I'm nervous about putting anything abrasive into my engine.

You did your own inframe. Does yours have that much blo-by? how many miles on it now?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
the powder you are referring to is Bon Ami. It was used on old school detroits to scuff em up but it was a very scary process and do not do it on a newer engine - one slip and it seized running right in front of you. If it has blowby it has it for a reason, do the diagnostics and figure out what it is and where its coming from.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Mrkentee , hhow55
(07-07-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  Only remedy I'm aware of in rings that fail to seat is to redo the offending cylinder. Usually shops just put new liners and rings in but they usually won't unless it eating a ton of oil. I've heard of powders that can be introduced through the intake to scuff the cylinder wall but I'm nervous about putting anything abrasive into my engine.

You did your own inframe. Does yours have that much blo-by? how many miles on it now?

I have approx 110k miles since I Inframed it. I can still rest the oil fill cap on the fill tube and it doesn't even wiggle. It smokes a little bit from the fill tube, but I expect that as no engine has 100% sealing ability In the cylinders. I do 20k mile oil changes and in that time I barely get under full on the stick now.
replyreply
Speaking of inframes Rawze, how's yours? Did number 6 ever seal?
replyreply
07-08-2017, (Subject: Crankcase pressure ) 
(07-07-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  Speaking of inframes Rawze, how's yours? Did number 6 ever seal?

Truck has 138k miles since inframe. Until the drive-shaft problem, truck running great. Fuel mileage finally came back and it has been breaking all new fuel mileage records with it. Still afraid to change those last 3 injectors or any of the fueling/timing actuators (have more than 1 mil on them now) because fuel mileage is so good.

Truck is breaking 9.5 mpg with 20,000 lbs in the trailer, 8.5+ is not unusual with 80,000 and touching 17 mpg bobtail on occasion.

Only signs of "newness" left from the inframe is when it sits and engine gets cold. It will still make an occasional tiny white puff of smoke at the exhaust at first crank but other than that no signs of anything. no measurable oil consumption at 15k miles after oil change and certainly no blowby out of the oil fill cap like that video posted above.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Lewiss873

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.