Location and temp variations of EGT sensor
08-12-2017, (Subject: Location and temp variations of EGT sensor ) 
Location and temp variations of EGT sensor
Wow! This forum is a trove of great info!
We are installing a pyrometer on our '09 9200i with ISX 871. The options we have identified are as Rawze suggests placing the probe on the outside of the exhaust manifold or we could put it inline post-turbo. If I understand correctly, the proper location is pre-tubo inside the manifold. What would you all recommend? If put it after the turbo how much heat is lost so what would be the max temps? The same question if I fasten it to the outside of the manifold? Thanks!!
replyreply
RE: Location and temp variations of EGT sensor
I placed mine on the outside of #4 cylinder/exhaust manifold on my 2008 CM-871, ProStar. That is counting from the front of the motor back. I used a stainless steel clamp to fasten the probe to the exhaust manifold that came with the VDO Pyrometer that I have mounted in a pod which bolts to my dash.

The temp variance strapped to the exhaust manifold is I believe around 250* to 300*. My pyrometer reads a steady 450* under a load, once in a great while will go to 550* on a very hot day, but once the fan kicks on it drops quickly. I have a fan override switch on the dash which allows me to turn the engine fan on at will.

I see no reason to drill holes, but that is just me as this method works. I am running the @m*m^2 and have been for roughly three years, did the work myself with the tune, with a bit of help from this site. I have had no issues with overheating or excessive temps. I pull a dry van.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Muckoy
Thanks Waterloo,
We also have @m*m^2 operating so that leave the 7th injector hole open 4" post turbo. I really like the idea of the fan override. I will be installing that. We pull a 5 axle end dump in fields and on road for under 100 miles. 109K gross so the truck gets a real work out.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(08-12-2017 )Muckoy Wrote:  Wow! This forum is a trove of great info!
We are installing a pyrometer on our '09 9200i with ISX 871. The options we have identified are as Rawze suggests placing the probe on the outside of the exhaust manifold or we could put it inline post-turbo. If I understand correctly, the proper location is pre-tubo inside the manifold. What would you all recommend? If put it after the turbo how much heat is lost so what would be the max temps? The same question if I fasten it to the outside of the manifold? Thanks!!

my reply...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...7#pid17307

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Muckoy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.