ECM swapping
07-07-2017, (Subject: ECM swapping ) 
ECM swapping
While I've got about a million questions to ask, I'll try to make my first one as straightforward as possible.

A friend of mine and I have nearly identical trucks- 2005 Petes, CM870, 18 spd, rearend ratios, etc. Both have been "de-mandated" but have kept the VGT. His truck was originally a 565 or so but turned up to 700ish by previous owners. Mine is a 475. These are dump trucks, BTW, in case that helps. His truck seems to shut off at random times, sometimes once or twice a day, sometimes 15 or 20. The place he bought it from has done a bunch of work to it, and have finally said they think it's in the ECM. However, no one around here seems to have one to try out. I'm hoping that putting my computer in his truck for a day or two would not cause irreparable harm
? Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
replyreply
RE: ECM swapping
I would think so long as they are the same model engine and same rated HP from factory it should be fine. The abs might get flaky as I think some are programmed with the vin in them and they compare it to the engine computer vin. I'm not 100% sure though. Shops don't keep ecm's around for every HP of engine as a test ecm. They usually just have 1 for each engine model.
replyreply
I would think that cpl is what would play the most important role in the ecm swap.. Different cpl's have different cams, injectors, timing, etc..
replyreply
Nialo- Not only does there not seem to one around just for that truck, there's not an extra computer anywhere that doesn't have some fancy delete program in it!

Squish099- That's my biggest fear too. Before reading around here I would not have considered any of those parameters, now they scare the crap out me.
replyreply
I would start with reseating all connections a few times after inspecting them for corrosion, damage, or any signs of arcing..
replyreply
07-08-2017, (Subject: ECM swapping ) 
I don't know about 870 ECM, but 871 ECM is known for random shutdowns. Here is some related info...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid12320

and Pete/KW trucks are known for this...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...05#pid3505

Maybe some info that helps.

====

BTW: There are so many bad programs out there for ISX it is not funny. 870 is a little more forgiving towards bad programming than newer models but still can make some damage or problems over time. I would suggest having Gearhead or Unilevers look at the programming in those trucks to make sure it is ok.

The ISx should run no more than about 950 degrees max on exhaust temps and about 36-38 PSI max on boost. This is even at your so-called 700 HP. Also, if they are de-mandated fairly well, then the engine oil should be staying clean/light brown for about 6,000 or so at a time before it turns dark. The engine oil does not lie.

Many bad cm870 programs will make boost go to 34-36+ for a short bit then drop back to 32 psi or so and make EGT's go over 1,000+ degrees. -- Not good.

At the very least, I hope like hell you have boost and pyro gauges on those trucks to monitor the turbo/exhaust temps and boost levels. I would not own a truck without those gauges to monitor everything with. Not knowing boost and pyro levels is the same as not knowing what your oil pressure is.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I personally would be afraid to remove my computer. Why take a chance compromising your computer or electrical harness going to your computer. I believe you said they were 2005 trucks. 12 years of life partly in a dump truck. I would exhaust all other possibilities with power supply or ground wires maybe key switch. Double check dealers work. Electrical connections can be very random like this. If your sure electrical is good just tell him to get a computer. 700 hp demandated. Could be some hack cumputer exchange crap I've seen advertised. They always claim some rediculous power number. 700 hp seems to be there favorite number. A true 700 hp in a dump truck, goofy. He really needs to do some major reevaluating in that computer anyway.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Rawze , Squish099 , gatow900 , TruckerMatt
Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I really appreciate it. I did not check back until today, whilst we are in the midst of switching computers. Both seem to be working fine, at least at high idle. While I have my own worries about my truck, which Rawze addressed exactly, I'd like get my friend pointed in the right direction so he can put a driver back in the truck.

His tune is most definitely a (3 initals) tune, and I suspect mine is as well, with the caveat that mine was for the mandate only, no extra power. Was all done by previous owner, so I'm left holding the bag as far as that goes. We both have Boost/Pyro gauges in our truck, and watch them religiously.

Is it kosher to PM guys directly, or should I wait for them to offer help? I've tried to follow as many threads on here as possible, but not sure what avenue is preferred. I'm in Western PA, so I think Gearhead would be closest for a face to face. I have ordered a chinese Insite/Inline combo so that I can at least take a look at things. Thanks again.
replyreply
You should likely PM Gearhead, unilevers, and/or Mr. hag and set something up with them if that is the road you want to take

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Magard

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.