Bad injector testing
07-13-2017, (Subject: Bad injector testing ) 
RE: Bad injector testing
You should be able to simply replace the O rings. I believe you need a special tool to remove the injectors. Someone will chime in on that.
replyreply
(07-13-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  You should be able to simply replace the O rings. I believe you need a special tool to remove the injectors. Someone will chime in on that.

just a small crows foot will work. they are not difficult to remove.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I would run the dye test before doing anything else, you can clean the surface of the head with gasoline. If it is an o-ring it will show easily. A small crack in the head around the injectors can be more difficult to see with the engine running. If you cant find it, use the test plate for the actuators, a plug for the fuel return and a pump to pressure test the top gallery of the head without the engine running. Sometimes it takes rather high pressure to find these suckers. I wouldnt run the engine with diluted oil more than necessary. If you dont have the adaptor plate or pump, change the orings, they are cheap, add gear oil and watch the oil level after running it. Somebody was telling me about a cracked injector causing similar issue, but have never seen it myself. I saw a high pressure gear pump causing it, but it was also leaking through the weep hole abit. That one was weird-it was leaking more towards the drive gear shaft than the weep hole. Its supposed to be the other way around when the seal goes bad, but...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , trucklogger2
(07-13-2017 )kmk Wrote:  I would run the dye test before doing anything else, you can clean the surface of the head with gasoline. If it is an o-ring it will show easily. A small crack in the head around the injectors can be more difficult to see with the engine running. If you cant find it, use the test plate for the actuators, a plug for the fuel return and a pump to pressure test the top gallery of the head without the engine running. Sometimes it takes rather high pressure to find these suckers. I wouldnt run the engine with diluted oil more than necessary. If you dont have the adaptor plate or pump, change the orings, they are cheap, add gear oil and watch the oil level after running it. Somebody was telling me about a cracked injector causing similar issue, but have never seen it myself. I saw a high pressure gear pump causing it, but it was also leaking through the weep hole abit. That one was weird-it was leaking more towards the drive gear shaft than the weep hole. Its supposed to be the other way around when the seal goes bad, but...

I ordered some red dye online. Now how exactly do I hook this bucket of dyed fuel up? And do you need a special light to see the dye?
replyreply
Uv light if necessary. Disconnect the supply hose to the ifsm from water separator and submerge it in the bucket.
replyreply
(07-13-2017 )kmk Wrote:  Uv light if necessary. Disconnect the supply hose to the ifsm from water separator and submerge it in the bucket.

Ok, then run it for a while and take the valve cover off and look for dye?
replyreply
(07-13-2017 )kmk Wrote:  Uv light if necessary. Disconnect the supply hose to the ifsm from water separator and submerge it in the bucket.
(07-13-2017 )tree98 Wrote:  Ok, then run it for a while and take the valve cover off and look for dye?

No, run it with the cover removed and use the UV light. If you run it for a while then remove the cover, the dye may be everywhere and now you can't pinpoint the source. If it's only an O-ring it will only be at the seam, if you can see the dye appear in a line out from the injector bore you just might discover a crack.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Vjex
Best time to do that test would be at night so it is easier to see it glow?
replyreply
07-14-2017, (Subject: Bad injector testing ) 
I'll just shut the doors to the shop and turn the lights off. Here's a dumb question...... what kind of light puts out uv light?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.